Neo-Retro! E-stay 29er made (mostly) in my garage

OK - some build pics as requested for those that like blobs of brass and lumps of steel. Apologies if they come up huge like the original post - I should really get a flickr account to make a better job of this.....

Just had a great day bombing round Grizedale on it - real blast from the past riding rigid on familiar old trails. Rode past lots of people so can't say it slowed me down any - 29 wheels must help! (and didn't see another bike once on good old bridleways). Worryingly had a slight a creak from the bb but a hose down and inspection has revealed a crack in the plastic cup on the UN53 bb - easily fixed and not related to my handiwork!

Attachments

• bend2.jpg
    bend2.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 3,100
  • mitre.jpg
    mitre.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 3,100
  • blobby_fillet.jpg
    blobby_fillet.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 3,100
  • curvy.jpg
    curvy.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 3,100
OK - lets try again with some resized pics :D

Attachments

• side_small.jpg
    side_small.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 3,093
  • 3qtr_jig.jpg
    3qtr_jig.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 3,093
  • head.jpg
    head.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 3,093
  • rear_end.jpg
    rear_end.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 3,093
:cool: That is absolutely superb. The angles of the top tube and everything look perfect. Good enough to start taking orders I'd say ;)

Fixed gear?

Not really - there is a freewheel hidden in there ;-)

You may notice front and rear wheel don't match.

It was when I first finished the frame - Hope could do a ready built 29er front wheel but had a bit of brain fade with the rear. So in the end they supplied the Crest rim and ss hub for the back but had to wait for some spokes. The only 29er wheel I had didn't have a disc mount, but I just couldn't wait to go for a ride (so just a front brake and some cautious downhilling).

Might try and take this on the lakes retro ride in Feb - can't decide if it counts as modern or retro? Will it be frowned upon? I'm sure I've got some Axo Pony boots and a hite-rite in the attic to improve the retro content..........

It was the no back brake that fooled me. Didn't notice odd wheels, being the sort of scuff that would run odd wheels and not give it a second thought.

Never been on a retro ride so can't say if it'll be frowned upon. I think it will be one of the coolest bikes there either way.

Back