1991 Rocky Mountain Experience

Paint disaster

Well I've just tried spraying the forks tonight and it's all gone wrong. The white base coat went on fine but the flouro top coat reacted with the white and sort of melted it, making the whole lot sort of fluid. Same make of paint, only did light coats, prepped properly.

To be honest - the flouro red didn't look right anyway so I'm not too bothered but it's money down the drain really.

I'm going to take the forks and stem to Triple X and get a metallic pillar box red powder coat put on the forks and black for the stem.

Gutted about the waste of time and money though. :-(

After a complete disaster with trying to spray the forks myself (something weird happened with the paint) I've taken the decision to drop them off at Triple S powdercoaters for a professional finish. Hopefully will be completed next Friday. All I will have to do it chop the steerer down a bit and all the components will be ready to put together - finally!

Stem and forks have been beautifully refinished by Triple S.

Here is the stem, now with decals on.

1def2478.jpg

I think Triple S may have just bought me a new stem. ;-)

6d1d53af.jpg

sinnerman":i17bh0iw said:
This is killing me, i keep logging on to see the finished bike.......?

ARE YOU A TEASE...

You know as well as I do, if a build is worth doing, do it properly, take your time, get the details right. I don't think this bike will ever be a prize winner but that doesn't stop me trying to match your standard of finish.

I have some time tonight so I will fit and trim the forks, put the new tyres on I got (very near new, if not completely new Ritchey Megabites, as per OEM spec) and start tightening the bolts up.......

No more pics till it's done, but if you like bikes that are OEM, chunky, aluminium and Canadian you'll love it!

FluffyChicken":2ihqvfpp said:
What have you done to that stem :shock:
It took me 14 years to get it into the condition I gave it to you in :LOL:

Sorry mate but it did look a bit shabby. The whole bike is rather smart so it'd be a shame to spoil it. We both know it's in it's rightful place now and restored to its former glory ;-) . I'm considering getting some decals made to match the original etching but it'll never look the same. Might take the ones I've put on off as I'm not sure about them to be honest.

Rob Atkin":3gv8v59i said:
sinnerman":3gv8v59i said:
This is killing me, i keep logging on to see the finished bike.......?

ARE YOU A TEASE...

You know as well as I do, if a build is worth doing, do it properly, take your time, get the details right. I don't think this bike will ever be a prize winner but that doesn't stop me trying to match your standard of finish.

you are right ref taking your time and getting it to your liking, and i think this month would be great to see such a cool canadian bike win botm... :cool:

Plus i really like what you have done to the stem, :cool:

Back