Mechanics bike stand....

We_are_Stevo":2zjzrp3r said:
P1040201.jpg

The plastic cup the BB sits in is also shaped to allow for downtube routed cables; and despite standing outside in all weathers for the best part of a year shows no sign of rust... :cool:
Thats good to know ... always liked the design of that stand but wondered if it would rust easily

But why would you pay over 1200SEK for something that isn't as robust as one that costs less than 500SEK??

...and for the record I have no vested interest in any, other than recommending something of excellent value and practicallity to fellow members ;)

We_are_Stevo":6i5m1bll said:
But why would you pay over 1200SEK for something that isn't as robust as one that costs less than 500SEK??

...and for the record I have no vested interest in any, other than recommending something of excellent value and practicallity to fellow members ;)

I've got a stand very similar in design to yours. It's stable and good to work on at a fixed height. But the headset clamp design type does allow a greater flexibility to the working height and frame angle.

To be fair I doubt any contributor to this thread has any vested interests.

We_are_Stevo":1p0efvlq said:
I note it's not the type you specified but I have one of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOME-MECHANIC ... 255fe00c48

...and it fits the bill perfectly;

P1040201.jpg

The plastic cup the BB sits in is also shaped to allow for downtube routed cables; and despite standing outside in all weathers for the best part of a year shows no sign of rust... :cool:

I have one of these too, and they are pretty good. The stand itself is very stable, however, the bike isn't that stable when fastened onto it, and the "hook" with which you clamp the down tube, isn't practical (a long bolt with a wingnut).

It has its upsides, like mr Stevo pointed out, but also its share of downsides, and I would probably today choose a stand that clamps onto the seat post/seat tube instead of this.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Saw one of these at Clas Ohlsen the other day. Again, a bit more than £50:
http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/link/m3/Product,Product.aspx?artnr=34-4135

It looked really well put together to me. The main tubes were in the region of 50mm in diameter! Must warn you off the shop though. I went looking for a £2 pad saw which I found in two minutes but still came out with thirty quid's worth of nonsense.

Every time Lidl / Aldi does them on offer they've sold out by the time I get there.

wookiee":20u633lu said:

Don't buy this one, I got it and its rubbish. It wont hold the bike firm enough to work on, the bike rocks around all over the place and is awkward to use i found, I had to send it back. I have a cheap one like 'We_are-Stevo' and its much better, fits the bill perfectly.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
i use old inner tubes.

no, seriously!!! we've got exposed joists in the garage & all i do is chuck a tube over, hook the saddle through both loops then repeat with a second tube & the handlebars.

the bike can sway a bit when your working on it but it is generally pretty stable.

in the new shed, there is a false ceiling but a length of 6x4 across the loft hatch seems to work spot on too, because of the height difference, the tube went through the frame instead of under the saddle.

2011-12-28155751.jpg

Latest posts

Back