Disc brake recommendations?

I have a set of Clarkes II for my saracen zen. Love them, the feel and the power.

Skeletal's are their newer ones and review pretty well. Worth bearing in mind when they can be found for £80 or so new on ebay for both front and rear.

Shimano- Excellent but the seals arent replaceable so when they leak theyre only fit for dumping
[Though i have known them to weep a little from the calliper in really cold weather]

Avid-Dont know much about them but was warned off by my fav mechanic.Said he saw them the most for service.

Hope- Used them all the time.First C2's then X2's[though i think the C2's are more powerful ;)]
I like Hope.good company and very highly regarded by all.

Others i cant comment upon

Not plugging Clarkes over others but had more use of them then others. I would say they are very helpful as my mate rounded some bolts off fitting new pads and he called them and they sent replacements free of charge first class in the post. British company as well if that means anything to anyone.

Across my varioue bikes I have...

Shimano LX from a few years back - it's OK, nothing more
Hayes 9 - I like em, plently of power and it's on/off, which is the way I like it
Magura Julies - they're also OK, I'm not a huge fan but there's nothing wrong as such
Avid Code 5s, nice and powerful, nice feel, not had to do any maintenance so can't comment on that
Formula Megas - awesome. simply awesome. Huge amounts of power (I can lock my front wheel going downhill if I really want to), no fade, good feel at the lever. I've ridden a lot of brakes over the years and done a fair bit of downhilling and I honest can't imagine requiring any more power from a brake on a pushbike.

Next time I need any new brakes I'll be going for something from the Formula range.

Don't rate shimano at all,had deore,xt and xtr, and none were as good as hope or maguras I've used

The saints i had scared me for a 2 pot brake :shock: Very impressive :cool:
I think the thing about shimano is that although the seals cant be changed they are far different than standard seals in that i believe them to be multiple seals.I dont know this for sure but the fact they have a short[reasonable that is]lifespan makes me think that shimano has done something different :?
Just purely speculation.
Anyone taken or attempted to take one apart shed any light on their construction?

I run tektro auriga , quite budget but they have never failed in 3 years and have good braking force when coupled with my superstar 203 floating discs
Unlike my mates hope brakes which never seem to work properly

RUMBLE; Are the Avid codes very heavy? I've got an odd older one i bought for the caliper and that weighs a ton :shock:

Back