Disc brake recommendations?

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm after a new set for my Norco as i need my E4's for my Dirtworks.
So, are there any underated disc brakes out there or do you always get what you pay for?
Always on the hunt for a bargain me :D

new shimano deore are pukka and only £50 a brake on crc at the mo. will need to get discs and mounts separately though.

So, Avid Juicy brakes.
Are 5's much better than 3's and are 7's better than 5's?
By enough to justify the cost difference?

I've read good things about Hayes being good value for money.
Are they reliable, east to work on etc?

I've got XT brakes in dual control form on my XC bike and they have been faultless :D

EarlofBarnet":6zv37fj1 said:
Shimano or Avid for me. Both have a different feel, but both great :)

Yes to Shimano, even the cheapies as have been mentioned. Like Avid in terms of performance and feel (got Elixirs on one my bikes), but they're a pain in the arse to bleed and such like (OK, that only matters if you do your own maintenance), and I seem to replace an awful lot of seals on them, especially Juicys.

Re: .

Grannygrinder":1wgptwd3 said:
So, Avid Juicy brakes.
Are 5's much better than 3's and are 7's better than 5's?
By enough to justify the cost difference?

I've read good things about Hayes being good value for money.
Are they reliable, east to work on etc?

I've got XT brakes in dual control form on my XC bike and they have been faultless :D

not bled my Hayes yet but informed it's fairly straight forward so am "looking fwd to that". They do have a habit of developing sticky pistons though, but a really good clean with IPA and Dot 4 sorted mine right out. The set I use now were pretty cheap on eBay due to condition (much worse than the ones I'm selling!) but work just as well now they've been cleaned up.

Think I've just got really used to the shape of the levers now, other disc brakes like Avid feel weird for that reason

I have a set of Formula Rx on my Copperhead, and they are great. So much power in fact, that it sounds like the spokes can't handle the strain when I really grab the front brake. You can really throw yourself over the handlebar with one finger.

However I must admit that I had a lot of problems setting them up properly.
I nearly replaced them with a set of Hope Tech M4's, but now that they're working properly, I really feel like I have too much braking power already.

Back