Damaged piston.

cyfa2809

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Was servicing some brakes on here recently as on side ha dthe dreaded stuck piston. Tried everything to get it to return to no avail but in the process have chipped the piston. Got it out with a track pump in the end (ask if you need the tip). Just wondering to re use it or not? (Biggest chip shown).

P1010339.jpg

Thats what i was thinking also!

While we are here, im thinking of changing tactis. I was planning on greasing the seals rather than using brake fluid. Opinions?

Grease would be red bikehut stuff with teflon in (not red rubber grease).

Im betting it will be a bit more friandly to the seals so they keep sealing and dont try up so easily.
I read also that if you lubricate the seal with whatever the seal is trying to seal its going to create a film on the piston and thus not seal so well.

First of all what brakes do you have?
What fluid should they use?

Some systems use mineral oil and others use brake fluid like in a car brake system. If you use either fluid/oil in other system it will shag the seals.

Is this Halfords grease the type you'd use in wheel-bearings/BBs/headsets?

From the manual Avid specify DOT 4 or 5.1 fluid and you are intending using a mineral-based grease on the seals?

"This Red Grease with Teflon is based on refined mineral oils, Lithium soap, anti-friction solid lubricants as well as corrosion and oxidation inhibitors."

cyfa2809":2kcvirn7 said:
Was servicing some brakes on here recently as on side ha dthe dreaded stuck piston. Tried everything to get it to return to no avail but in the process have chipped the piston. Got it out with a track pump in the end (ask if you need the tip). Just wondering to re use it or not? (Biggest chip shown).

P1010339.jpg

That looks like a Hayes 9 piston.

Fairly cheap from chain reaction.

They do look very similar yes. Havent checked diamters and stuff but the nipple bit is different on each.

Back