1992 Alan cyclocross (pic heavy)

Thanks for the comments everyone

Got a dumb question , trying to sort the sizing out and need to raise the bars a little but much to my surprise undoing the quill stem bolt didn't loosen the stem just exposed a bolt? :?

So I am guessing I have to undo the very top headset cup to loosen the stem?

Very cool :D

As for the stem slacken the bolt but don't remove, can give it a gentle tap if you wish. Really just wiggle the bars and pull up at the same time. The headset has no bearing on the quill.

Now I dont normally swear but that was BLOODY brilliant !!

First time I have ridden a Cross bike and just got in, The idea was to just go for a quick spin but I ended up licking my local mtb loop in quick time with SO MUCH FUN!!

-Grip!! My loop starts out of the village and straight into a pretty long hard offroad climb that has all sorts of surface including hardpack, Stones, mud , gloopy mud, larger off camber stone surfaces (picture roman rode surface) and it just cleared the lot !! :shock: I am actually flabbergasted at the grip I had it slipped a little in the goop on the rear but I actually think thats more to do with the tread on the rear.

- Comfort, I thought I would get a total battering off the road but it was amazing , even decending through a mini rock field it just sailed straight over, Tracking over roots was lovely too , No harshness from the forks though while looking down while decending offroad I think the fork has more travel than my mtb forks :shock:

Decending I found tricky mainly (hopefully) because the set-up wasnt ideal for me on the drops with my dinky hands I could only get one finger on the levers and on the tops I couldnt get the leverage ...At one point I thought bugger it and just gritted my teeth and hung on without brakes it was very exciting :shock: :D. Once I have sorted this out its going to be such a grin

I am rambling now but I loved it ...perfect for the cotswolds loved the fact you can hit the trails/bridals then stonk along the lanes then hop back onto another trail.

so errrrrrm yes its a hit :cool: :oops:

Absolute classic frame Dave, top find.

Referring back to an earlier post, I had a Guerciotti badged Alan road frame, all silver like this. The b/b flex was 'interesting' but a lovely bike and very light for the day.

Back on track, what is your long term thinking re. tape and saddle? Black and black would be really functional but yellow and yellow might work well too.

ededwards":34yy4hch said:
Absolute classic frame Dave, top find.

Referring back to an earlier post, I had a Guerciotti badged Alan road frame, all silver like this. The b/b flex was 'interesting' but a lovely bike and very light for the day.

Back on track, what is your long term thinking re. tape and saddle? Black and black would be really functional but yellow and yellow might work well too.

Already attached a nice black flite and the tape will be replaced black too esp as it all fell apart yesterday. I will take the opportunity to replace the stem with a zero rise to just get the front up a little more to make the drops a little more accessible and drop the levers down a little more.

My main dilemma is with the wheels/tyres , The rear tub is pretty shot on the sidewalls and ideally I would love to change to clinchers but I didnt really plan on throwing lots of money at it? :?

daj":3hknysjk said:
My main dilemma is with the wheels/tyres , The rear tub is pretty shot on the sidewalls and ideally I would love to change to clinchers but I didnt really plan on throwing lots of money at it? :?

Can't you just find a cheap second hand road wheel with clinchers for the rest of this season?

Still riding on the rear dodgy tub , I will get unstuck sooner or later (ha,ha get it!?!? :roll: )

Attachments

• photo (19).JPG
    photo (19).JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 436
  • photo (18).JPG
    photo (18).JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 436
Back