Black Country Members

Biggest crash I've ever had was at a snip over 40mph on my Saracen coming down St Kenlems Pass. Slid a long way. Interesting church (and back story though).

Anyway - I'm up for a reccy ride at some point. Keep intending to nip over there as used to know the place like the back of my hand and not far from mom and dad's.

Don't wish to turn this into 'I had a Massive Crash at Clent Hills thread' :LOL: but...
I'd picked up my Trek 950 from Steve Thornhill Cycles in Selly Oak (Now a Curry House) on the Friday evening I think? Took it up Clent with a couple of Mates on Sunday. On way home came out of Main Café Car Park, turn left & it's a 1 in 7 hill back down to bypass...As you do, went belting down at a silly speed. There's a couple of sharp left hand corners & as I came round one I saw a Car coming at me. Hit the rear brake & Fishtailed side on into him & bounced down the road...Amazingly nothing broken! All I can remember is the bloke going Nuts abut his car & his wife asking me if I was alright...took it back to Thornhill's on Monday morning...

That hill is the one I was joking with weeman_mtb about earlier - killer warm up climb. Also had a few near ones there - v. v. steep (esp with canti. breaks, off road tyres and damp roads). (Btw, we used to go sledging in the field that runs parallel to that road).

The road we are talking about is called Hagley Wood Lane and it's a beauty. I still enjoy that climb even though it leaves me fighting for breath at the top and the decent just has to be done head down, arms outstetched, almost lying on the saddle.

Touch wood, I've never had any serious offs down there but I did have a stupid crash near the bottom as it flattens out. I can't describe what I was doing because it's way too stupid but I still have a small scar on top of my foot where it caught the tarmac!

I can only do Saturdays if anybody fancies joining me for a ride in the near future. Wife at work, kids have a day at the grandparents just a stones throw away, almost a guilt free passout. What days are good for you guys?

Pretty sure I've been sledging in that same field Paul :cool: .

Saturdays are good for me, but not just yet. Going to get booked in next week at the 'Hands of God' and see what Magic he can work on my knee...I won't forget, we'll deffo get out & have a look round at some routes. Could always do a bit of Pub planning first?...

This is looking promising look forward to hearing the outcome for a future invite :cool:

Sounds like a plan, not in a rush to get up there with all the rain we've had this week.

daj":27y3ay6w said:
This is looking promising look forward to hearing the outcome for a future invite :cool:

I really hope there's enough riding around there to make it a viable venue Dave.

Given the amount of rain there's probably enough riding in just trying to get round that pool on the bridleway round the back of Adams Hill. Seem to remember it getting a godo foot deep there. :D

weeman_mtb":2irkvkqf said:
The road we are talking about is called Hagley Wood Lane and it's a beauty. I still enjoy that climb even though it leaves me fighting for breath at the top and the decent just has to be done head down, arms outstetched, almost lying on the saddle.

Touch wood, I've never had any serious offs down there but I did have a stupid crash near the bottom as it flattens out. I can't describe what I was doing because it's way too stupid but I still have a small scar on top of my foot where it caught the tarmac!

I can only do Saturdays if anybody fancies joining me for a ride in the near future. Wife at work, kids have a day at the grandparents just a stones throw away, almost a guilt free passout. What days are good for you guys?

Pretty sure I've been sledging in that same field Paul :cool: .

Sorry but I've done the St Kenelms road flat on the saddle but Hagley Wood lane flat on the saddle is just mental (at least the top bit with all the corners). Or maybe it was just being six inches away from a Metro bumper with the cantis full on and praying for salvation before the idiots in the car took their foot off the brake that left me a bit nervous.

p.s. once beat my mate back to the first uphill bit on the St Kenelms way from the four stones with no chain. :D

p.p.s. Yeah, the sledging field was first port of call when it snowed and I was doing my a-levels. Always nice lamping down a snowy hill towards a a concrete bunker :)

In terms of days for me - Saturdays mornings are tricky (because take the daughter swimming over our way and wife tutors) but /might/ scrape a Saturday avo (depending on the family diary).

Back