1993 Answer Manitou System FS

Part 1; Teardown

So far It's gone pretty much as I expected.
The head tube has a grand total of 3 cracks. I've not found anymore in addition to the 2 already noted in the rest of the frame or stays.

Front fork came apart with no issues and has minimal wear on the nylon sliders. I'll fab some springs(or order from Wings if I'm feeling lazy) and get that back into ship shape.

Rear fork has minimal wear but, will require a reach into my bag of tricks to wright. The long 6mm bolts were seized into the lower caps and sheered when I removed them. I'll remove the lowers from the chainstays and drill and tap them from the bottom(easy, right? ; ). Coil springs and friction film to add rebound and Bob's your uncle.

The XT group is in great shape but, a friend has most of an XTR group so I'm gonna use that.

My parts wish list;
XTR 1.25 headset
XTR Brakes
(First generation only)
If anyone has spares for sale please post up or PM.

Comments, concerns and critiques welcome.
(No need to tell me I'm retarded for taking on this project, my wife already has).

Cheers,
Timothy
93manitou014.jpg

you're going to have the 3 crack weld? I can imagine what friction film is, but can you tell more about this?

Rio":3nivnc47 said:
you're going to have the 3 crack weld? I can imagine what friction film is, but can you tell more about this?

From above;
I'm now thinking I'll weld it first and see how that goes.
If it cracks again I'll section out the top tube, down tube and head tube. Replace them and heat treat it.

In the past I've used "film" type lubricants for damperless forks with some success.
They're basically thick/sticky grease that add friction. It slows everything down and helps tame the bob.

Wowwwwwwwwwww your going to do a great job on this i can tell :cool: :cool:

trail_head":1omr0704 said:
In the past I've used "film" type lubricants for damperless forks with some success.
They're basically thick/sticky grease that add friction. It slows everything down and helps tame the bob.

sounds good. Any experience with Manitou front forks allready?

Rio":3qdoeil2 said:
trail_head":3qdoeil2 said:

On a purely techy note, are you not at the mercy of the vagaries of varying viscosity depending on the ambient temperature and type of terrain??

We_are_Stevo":337yz0cn said:
Rio":337yz0cn said:
trail_head":337yz0cn said:

On a purely techy note, are you not at the mercy of the vagaries of varying viscosity depending on the ambient temperature and type of terrain??

Yes. But, it seems to work good on warm summer days in Canada. That's the only time I might be riding this thing anyway!
I have other bikes for cold weather. last night we rode for 3hours at -10 on frozen solid, ice covered trails. Rigid, of coarse, floaters would just freeze up.

trail_head":2zrlqhqq said:
We_are_Stevo":2zrlqhqq said:
Rio":2zrlqhqq said:
trail_head":2zrlqhqq said:

Yes. But, it seems to work good on warm summer days in Canada. That's the only time I might be riding this thing anyway!
I have other bikes for cold weather. last night we rode for 3hours at -10 on frozen solid, ice covered trails. Rigid, of coarse, floaters would just freeze up.

............ah, there you go you see; no good for the UK then! :LOL:

We_are_Stevo":36pxx106 said:
trail_head":36pxx106 said:
We_are_Stevo":36pxx106 said:
Rio":36pxx106 said:
trail_head":36pxx106 said:

............ah, there you go you see; no good for the UK then! :LOL:

and no good for Holland either...

I can't wait for my wings kit to arrive, but am still a bit worried that it bounces to much :?
We'll see! I can finally ride my Merlin then :LOL:

Back