Modern groupset on a Retro frame - anyone done it

Whoosh - that Jack Taylor is stunning, love it - maybe I've seen it somewhere here before?? Been wanting to do this for a while with my Brian Rourke. I've been running it as single speed for 2 years, but after 2 years of riding it I love it and want to do justice to it by fitting it with a 10 speed group. The JT is an inspiration - I feel my next project coming on - especially if I can pick up 10 speed bits on the cheap!

An old MBK with later 1990's Campagnolo

dsc01154_455.jpg

1979 px10 with a smattering of Campagnolo again

dsc01454_111.jpg

My current project is a 1994 Omega steel frame with a Campag Veloce/ Athena 2012 groupset http://stallioncycles.webs.com/omega.htm

Old bikes with modern groups was the inspiration behind my modified campag groupsets http://stallioncycles.webs.com/engravedchainsets.htm

Should have engraved rear mech, front mech, brakes and ergos by the end of the week.

The beauty of new is the availablity as well as the functionality; weight and performance. Even the Veloce dual pivot brakes weighed up less than the early 80's single pivot Campag (Victory?) calipers.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the frame is not compatible with a short bottom bracket spindle like 103mm, in some cases.

My friend has 9 speed Campy and the stuff works really nice.

I have never needed or wanted more than 8 speeds.

Hi tel - just made the connection between the sight and your posts here - doh! Anyway some nice bikes and projects there, more inspiration for my build when I get round to it

I have a modern Campag Veloce chainwheel on my 64 Flyer running through a sealed Campag BB set up. I think it looks rather fetching...

PB060510.jpg

P7250657.jpg

I keep it a bit traditional on the back though...
P7250656.jpg

I have a more recent front changer too.
P7250663.jpg

I very much mixed and matched the components to my taste.

Going to the bike jumble at the Velodrome tomorrow so might change my mind again.
As it's a nice day I took the opportunity to take a picture of the frame set I'm looking to build up.
Spent ages waiting for a nice one in my size so I want to be happy with the final build.

Attachments

• DSCF5278.jpg
    DSCF5278.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 4,089
I'm no road bike expert but I think the modern groupset on the older bike looks amazing, and is very useful if it's a regular rider. The older groupets, which can look very nice sometimes take away from the beauty og the frame. The newer groupsets (no carbon please) tend to look sleeker and let the frame design or colour stand out a lot better IMHO.

A nice handmade Bob jackson or similar UK steel frame looks fantastic with a modern gear set on. I went to Bob Jacksons just before they shut the shop and they had a few bikes for sale, some had aheadset, some had quill stems but they all looked amazing - but the frame style hasn't changed for decades.

More please!

Back