My first proper retro road claud butler cavalier 1956

cannondale king

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So I picked this up tonight http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180792307997? ... 812wt_1054

It's my first proper retro project i was drawn towards the carved lugs and they look so stunning the paint on the forks is coming off underneath there is some pretty clean chrome the main tubes on the frame has some corrosion but gonna get that sorted as having it grit blasted (gently as pos) then powdercoated the same colour pos zinc coat first then paint the lugs gold after or even gloss black with gold lugs ;) it has gear stops but im thinking as it came with 27x1.1/4
track wheels il stick with it set up track

on another note anyone got any 27 1/14 rims? :D

so what do you think :?: :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
from 1955. what you have is one of the last models produced by claud butler before he went out of business, so look after it.

the frame number should contain 55, along with a number 1-12, indicating month/year the bike was ordered.

info about the bike:

http://www.nkilgariff.com/CBcats/Cat_56/CB_Cavalier.htm

the wheels do not look like sprints (track wheels), but if they are then they are similar in size to 700c wheels and you can easily put those on. if they are 27 x 1/4 road wheels, you'd need to get deep drop brake calipers to allow the brake blocks to engage the rim. It would be unusual to see track wheels on a bike with horizontal forward facing dropouts…

Pretty sure that's just a normal flip-flop hub in a 27" wheel. I don't know when tubulars came along but I had a bike with an old 40-spoke flip-flop hub laced into a 27" rim. It'll probably ride quite nice. I'd be inclined to keep it with chrome rims on a bike of that age. Rigida Chromix or something if you can find them :)

I've got a pair of 27'' Rigida Chrolux rims. Still in ok nick, a bit of pitting here and there. The spokes and Sturmey Archers hubs have had it but i can cut the rims out if you want. Can send photos tomorrow pm if you are interested.[/quote]

grumpycommuter":2n5oufi4 said:
I've got a pair of 27'' Rigida Chrolux rims. Still in ok nick, a bit of pitting here and there. The spokes and Sturmey Archers hubs have had it but i can cut the rims out if you want. Can send photos tomorrow pm if you are interested.
[/quote]

sounds perfect im now going down the shed to take some proper photo's and get the bb shell number :D

Will pm when i get up 5he house mate

The bb numbers are British made R9D. V 64/61 and also stamped is 2247 565 this is stamped at 90 degress to the rest

That is so nice. Don't strip and re-paint - it'll shine up like a new penny with a good clean and polish. The transfers look in great condition. In fact, the whole bike does...

My Claud Electron Super Five started out looking like that, and this is how it finshed up after a dab of polish:

DSC02584.jpg

I also owned - and lightly renovated - this late '70's Claud:

DSC02935.jpg

DSC02932.jpg

Goldie said:
That is so nice. Don't strip and re-paint - it'll shine up like a new penny with a good clean and polish. The transfers look in great condition. In fact, the whole bike does...

I will second that.Please please do not repaint.Keep as is.I only respray if a frame is beyond bring back,or it was repainted with a yard brush.

Back