Ekimov's bike

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I already knew one of my PR-6000’s was an ex-team bike and I assumed the other (mint) example was a ’regular off the shelf’ PR-6000. Only this morning, when giving the disassembled bike a thorough clean, I paid attention to the serial: VE-3-91. That is the typical notation for a Post/Legrand team bike: VE’s (initials of rider) 3rd bike for 1991 season. After a quick search on the internet I learnt that Viatchelav Ekimov was member of the Sportlife-Panasonic team in 1991 and that he were the only one with initials VE. So, seems it is Ekimovs bike.

6725447131_d4e8590f45_b.jpg

It is built with 3x 28.6mm diameter Tange Prestige tubes in front triangle for extra rigidity:

6725448375_f9e7160e47_z.jpg

I saw Ekimov finsihing a stage of the Milk Race in Exeter probably around that time - wonder if it's the same bike ;)

orange71":4a9ygjam said:
I saw Ekimov finsihing a stage of the Milk Race in Exeter probably around that time - wonder if it's the same bike ;)

I think you saw him racing on VE-1-91 or VE-2-91 :) The rims of my bike do not show a trace of wear.

This probably also excludes my bike being Ekimov's TdF stage winning bike.

The frame feels ridiculously light btw, even with the bits fitted.

Fantastic bit of info that! Just off out to the garage to see if my Bianchi has FC-1-49 stamped on it anywhere... :LOL:

Wow. Very cool Melvin. Those Panasonics are very handsome machines, nice alternative to the normal Columbus tubed Euro offerings.

Did all the PR-6000s come with number tabs?

Elev12k":13jpmb7h said:
orange71":13jpmb7h said:

I think you saw him racing on VE-1-91 or VE-2-91 :) The rims of my bike do not show a trace of wear.

Proof :) >>

6731254107_1d3cae9c71_z.jpg

John":2x31xfd5 said:
Wow. Very cool Melvin. Those Panasonics are very handsome machines, nice alternative to the normal Columbus tubed Euro offerings.

Did all the PR-6000s come with number tabs?

They are handsome machines, John. Thanks. I do like the design of the paintscheme a lot. You can still select it for your custom Panasonic and it still looks good >>

http://cycle.panasonic.jp/products/pos/ ... color.html

Yes, also the PR-6000 for the paying customer came with number tab, as the example Speedbicycles recently auctioned demonstrates >>

speed_001.jpg

The PR-6000 for the paying customer was silver brazed by a Panasonic's small 'Works Team'. It entirely uses unique high quality frame parts. The paying customer had to bring 6998 guilders with him. Perhaps Panasonic thought it was psychologically smart to set the price 2 guilders under 7K, so it was perceived as somewhat cheaper. Personally I think it doesn't make much sense with a 7K bike :roll:

Latest posts

Back