Late 90's SYNCROS polished cranks...

fliier

Dirt Disciple
Can anyone tell me about these?

I've searched hi and low on the web and haven't been able to find a match. Did find something in black but the polished version eludes me. I think they were on the original build of a '97' Ventana so I'd date them to that year +/-. Square taper. I still have the original Syncros big ring which is a bit worn. Sort of a pale gold anodized finish... Had this Salsa in the parts box, no ramps or pins so I figured it was from about the same period.

Anyhow if you know anything or are interested in having them for your very own.

I'm really Jonesing for a new Ventana...:LOL:

Cheers :D

Attachments

• SAM_0895_2.jpg
    SAM_0895_2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,508
  • SAM_0896.jpg
    SAM_0896.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,509
  • IMAG0051.jpg
    IMAG0051.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,508
  • IMAG0058.jpg
    IMAG0058.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,508
Syncros cranks...

Thanks Brother! I appreciate the pointer. Never would have thought to search for
BontragerSchweiz":3viukjyc said:
Syncros Near Net Forged

Any idea what the "near net" part of that is referring to? Must be something to do with the forging process...

Thanks again! :D

No expert here, but I believe it's a process where the cranks were sort of 'rough' forged then milled/engraved and polished to achieve that lovely finish. Sweet cranks, I actually have the 10th anniversary set shipping over from the states for my 97 Bontrager Race in the next couple weeks. Looks exactly like yours except for an enameled badge on the drive side crankarm with a maple leaf and a 10 on it. Will post pics when it arrives.

Syncros cranks...

That makes perfect sense. Explains the "near net" idea...

They really are very nice looking cranks and quite light. They also take a polish very easily. A couple of minutes with Mothers or something equivalent and they absolutely gleam. You're going to love them!

What year was the 10th anniversary? 1997?

They look great on a polished frame (or anything else I'm quite sure) like the Ventana that I'm running them on. Really don't want to part it out, but I am looking at the new Ventana El Ray. So new in fact that Ventana had to send me pictures directly, nothing on the web site yet. Anyhow Ventana takes any of there frames in trade for 30% discount on a new frame. $2200 is the retail so I can trade in my 1997 Marble Peak frame for $660 or so off the new frame. If actually pull the trigger on the new frame I'll be parting out the Marble Peak and these cranks... Killing me to do it though, Ventana is just going to send it to the recycler. I just hate to see a piece of "functional art" destroyed. They did offer to let me cut off the bottom bracket and hang it on my wall... I guess that's something :(

Looking forward to seeing pics when your new cranks arrive... :cool:

Yes, the crankset is 1997, same as my Bonty.
Regarding your new frame, I always thought it would be cool to get a new custom frame and stick some old school bits on, sort of the best of both worlds. Don't see many modern cranks that look as good as retro CNC stuff...
Where abouts in Texas are you from, btw? I'm originally from San Antonio, moved across the pond in 2004.
Happy trails.

Syncros cranks...

That's funny, I don't live in San Antonio but I was there today, sitting in my hotel room when I last posted... I actually live up in the DFW area about 40m north of Dallas.

I'll check out that chain ring. Thanks.

I know your "new" crank set is unique being a 10th anniversary edition and all, but what kind of coin, if you don't mind me asking, did you have to drop to get them?

The new Ventana is going to be all new I'm afraid. So many changes in the new standards that very little can be reused. BB30 bottom brackets, 142mmx12 rear axles, 15mm thru axle forks, tapered head tubes, 29er wheel sets, etc., etc... I'm thinking something old and something new... :D

Should be fun!

Syncros cranks...

What are the odds? I don't live in San Antonio but I was there today. I last posted sitting in my room by the airport... I actually live up in the DFW area about 40m north of Dallas.

I'll check out that chain ring. Thanks.

I know your "new" crank set is unique being a 10th anniversary edition and all, but what kind of coin, if you don't mind me asking, did you have to drop to get them?

The new Ventana is going to be all new I'm afraid. So many changes in the new standards that very little can be reused. BB30 bottom brackets, 142mm rear hub width, 15mm thru axle forks, tapered head tubes, 29er wheel sets, etc., etc... I'm thinking something old and something new... but two different rides. Of course I'll have to do a bit of thinning to get down to just two.:roll:

Should be fun! :D

Here's a few pictures if your curious. Not retro so I hope I won't be ex-communicated... :oops:

Attachments

• ElRey_Rear1_2.jpg
    ElRey_Rear1_2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,403
  • ElRey_Head_2.jpg
    ElRey_Head_2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,403
  • ElRey_Frame_2.jpg
    ElRey_Frame_2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,403
Crank was $350. Originally wanted $500 which seems a bit ridiculous, even if it is NOS.
That Ventana is sweet!
Met my wife in Addison, btw. Small world...

Latest posts

Back