Serotta ATX Colorado (soon 2 be) Singlespeed

Defiant

Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Feedback
View
Hi Guys,

this is my old and faithfull Serotta ATX Colorado.
I bought this on new back in 96 i guess,..do not know for sure anymore.
i used to drive it like this;

158serottaatx.jpg

but now i want to make it into a singlespeed.
Last week a bought a really nice, and scratch free Tange Switchblade to put in he frame;

DSC00677.jpg

and now it looks like this;

Serotta2.jpg

SerottaATX.jpg

SerottaBack.jpg

Serottafront.jpg

I want to put the cook bros cranks on, brakes I do not know yet.
Stem i want the replace with a control tech NOS i know for sale somewhere

if you got some hot tips for me please let me know, this is going to be my first singlespeed and do not know all about that...

and sometimes it had its benefits to life alone ;) these are in the livingroom right now,... :LOL:

Livingroom.jpg

best, Bas

Will look nice finished. Like the forks, very smooth.
SteveK on here, and Ededwards, know all about singlespeed builds.

Bas,

Serotta ...sweet :cool: I think aesthically the Switchblades is a great match with the frame. Looks sharp.

Sorry, can't advice you on the SS-thing :oops: 25 bikes, not a single one SS.

Thanks for the plug Jon. :D

Of course I'm no real expert but I've been riding solely single speed for a few years now so I'll have a go...

First of all welcome to the single speed world, long may you enjoy. :) Nice collection of bikes BTW.

You're going to need an unramped chainring, probably best using a 32 tooth if you're going for a classic offroad 32:16 ratio. If you're a bit stronger or have a slower cadence try something like 34:16. It depends on your strength, terrain you ride etc but 32:16 is a good starting point. You'll also need some short chainring bolts too as the regular ones are a little longer. You can cut some down if you wish.

A decent chain is a must and also a conversion kit consisting of a 16 tooth cog and spacers to get the chain alignment correct, these fit straight onto your freehub.

Next you'll probably need to get some tension into the chain so a tensioning device will be necessary. You can get all this stuff off Charlie the bike monger on ebay just do a search for him on there and you'll see all the goodies he's got for sale.

If you find that you love single speeding after a while you might want to invest in an ENO Eccentric hub from White Industries, this will turn any frame into a single speed and looks really neat and tidy.

I think that's about it, if there's anything I can help with just give me a shout. :D

Good advice from Steve, I'd emphasise the need to get the chainline as good as possible and if you don't want to buy a tensioner you can always use an old mech.

If you really enjoy ss, that Serotta would look very sweet resprayed in the same colour with horizontal dropouts and minus the gear cable guides

I was thinking the same,..maybe replay the frame,.in the same collor as the form, and order some nice serotta decals.

and remove all what is not needed,..

but ,..i can not get is over my heart to rape the frame because it is so dear to me,..yes i am an sentimental looser,..hehehe

you're a man of consummate taste defiant, Eames, Panton, Van de Rohe...

oh, and the bikes quite nice too.

next small steps have been made,..;

Cook Bros is again on the frame;
I got a question about the cranks; i bought these new back in 92 i guess,..when i bought them the brand name was good visable but due to the heavy use it doesn't show that good anymore; how can i color the brand name again?

cook3.jpg

and also i put the new wheelset in, Ringle's with Campagnolo rims.
Don't know yet about the color combi but in real i doesn't look that bad.

ringle.jpg

ringle3.jpg

Ringle6.jpg

and it now looks like this,..;

ss.jpg

ss2.jpg

next step; buy some cables for the brakes, fix the single speed cog at the back but i have to find out how that works. :roll:
I do not know how to get these of ,..
buy some decent QR's

took the wheelset out,..didn't like them afterall in the serotta.
Replaced them with the Rond Wheelset.
Like the look much now.

Serottass3.jpg

Serottass5.jpg

Serottass4.jpg

Back