Saracen kili 853

these frames are lovely and this deep rich colour is beautiful :cool: :cool: :cool:

a pity hardly any seem to have crossed the channel for Frogland :cry:

love the arm crankset much lovelier than the 4 arms one

but cannot get accustomed to carbon seatpost ( less for the bar ) on such a frame :?

bduc61":1p7f2fr7 said:
these frames are lovely and this deep rich colour is beautiful :cool: :cool: :cool:

a pity hardly any seem to have crossed the channel for Frogland :cry:

love the arm crankset much lovelier than the 4 arms one

but cannot get accustomed to carbon seatpost ( less for the bar ) on such a frame :?

Thanks kermitgreenkona88 :D

bduc61 - it is indeed a lovely colour :cool: Regarding the carbon seat post and bars - as mentioned earlier this is going to be my main steel bike and i have already built a period correct 96 kili so wanted to do something a little different with this one. I happen to think the carbon looks good against the orange and at the end of the day it is only the finishing kit.

Lovely looking bike there Dendy. Excellent choice of colour and the down-tube decals look just right.

I've never really liked the metal Team Saracen head-badge though. I thought the 97 models still had the older style one which matched the 'S' in the down-tube font (like the one in your avatar). I thought the metal badge appeared in 1998.
Could well be wrong though.

I'm also not too keen on the colour of the V-brakes. Personally I don't think they work with the orange of the paint. I'm sure they will function very well. M950 XTR grey would be awesome...

I have a 1997 Kili Comp frameset awaiting some repair work and a new coat of paint. Haven't decided on the colour yet, and sadly I can't find any of those superb Saracen segmented forks. I'll have to make do with a nice pair of colour matched Z2s.

Hi Paul thanks for your positive comments!

I am not a fan of the head tube badge either and when i find the time it is being removed for the one in my avatar.. Yes there is evidence to suggest the metal look ht badge appeared in 98. Although I am not 100% cos I know Saracen changed the styling of the cable guides half way through 97 and therefore every chance that the badge appeared with this facelift too. So yes this frame could quite possibly be a 98.

M950 v brakes was part of the original plan (aesthetically pleasing) but I shelved them to try these avids cos I really are not a massive fan of shimano v brakes. I am still undecided on the brakes to be honest and will better evaluate when it is built and cabled up.

Regarding your 97 comp and forks - the only thing I could find close to the segmented forks is the on one disc and v brake compatible forks. Just remove the disc mount and repaint. So are you thinking of changing from the original yellow colour?

Yes I've seen the On-One forks. I'm a bit concerned about the A-C distance though, and the lack of 'S' embossed onto the tops.

dendy":1zgbfrf3 said:
So are you thinking of changing from the original yellow colour?

It's a very tatty yellow at the moment so it'll certainly want painting. The rear end is slightly out of alignment too so that'll need fixing.
Thinking about 'Kawasaki' green, or a similar colour to yours as it happens.

Here it is as of last August, with it's original head tube decal...

NWA-Preston-Rivington_04.jpg

drystonepaul":1fkt08vn said:
Yes I've seen the On-One forks. I'm a bit concerned about the A-C distance though, and the lack of 'S' embossed onto the tops.

dendy":1fkt08vn said:
So are you thinking of changing from the original yellow colour?

It's a very tatty yellow at the moment so it'll certainly want painting. The rear end is slightly out of alignment too so that'll need fixing.
Thinking about 'Kawasaki' green, or a similar colour to yours as it happens.

Here it is as of last August, with it's original head tube decal...

NWA-Preston-Rivington_04.jpg

Super cool Kawasaki green sounds ace.. The saracen "s" stamped on top of each leg stopped appearing after 96. The forks on the 96 kili have this and the orange ones do not. Also remember my mates 97 green kili team not having the "s" on the forks.

The a-c length of the saracen forks is 390mm and the on one are 420mm so yes, 30mm may be too much.

dendy":1qs2zf0a said:
orange71":1qs2zf0a said:
Had 2 of these. The best 26" frames I had...

Did you not have an orange one just like this?

The orange one is in my possession now, sat waiting for me to finish buying all the bits. Its a slow build, but we will get there ;)

Those forks are lovely though :cool:

Good looking build mate, I hope I can do my one the same justice as you have :D

Dan

Back