Rock Shox SID 98 help (SOLVED)

t-stoff

GT Fan
Feedback
View
Well, cause im still waiting for parts only today i purchased the shock pump to use it on my 98 SID.
Anyway, bought the "football" needle but it seems like it looses air after 2 or 3 pumps. I know it looks mint on the outside but.... Any idea what it might be ?
Thanks!

Re: Rock Shox SID 98 help

t-stoff":22d80cvf said:
Well, cause im still waiting for parts only today i purchased the shock pump to use it on my 98 SID.
Anyway, bought the "football" needle but it seems like it looses air after 2 or 3 pumps. I know it looks mint on the outside but.... Any idea what it might be ?
Thanks!

can you be more specific?

Thanks for the reply: I insert the needle and after a few strokes when reaching 20 or 30 PSI it starts losing air. From what i've been reading, maybe the needle is too short or has something to do with the air chamber.. still investigating.....
While i was searching, i came across with this site who has all this information by chapters on the left side column :

http://mountainbikers.hubsystems.com.au/resources.html

specially this chapter devoted to forks :

http://mountainbikers.hubsystems.com.au ... pter38.pdf

maybe it will be a good addition to the "future" technical section.. : )

Could anyone give me a the length of a 1998 SID's needle?
I think that might be the problem on this (to short).
C'mon, theres tons of threads with people showing SID's and all of a sudden no one knows a thing, not even a hint.. This is my only bike and i haven't ride it since november!!:/ i really need this thing ready :p

I do not know SID's.
Where is it loosing air, you should be able to here it if it's that quick.
Is it coming out the valve ?
Is it coming out the pump ?
Pics, which pump ?
Good chance the air-valve has gone, have you taken the caps off to inspect. Have you checked the two o-rings on the piston top thing are still find (it looks like they are the other air seal)

As far as I know the pump is the same as the MAG pump
The needle is standard pump/basketball length, it iirc less than 2mm diameter, thinner the better. Has a hole in the end and nowhere else.

FluffyChicken":1m2j56kp said:
I do not know SID's.
Where is it loosing air, you should be able to here it if it's that quick.
Is it coming out the valve ?
Is it coming out the pump ?
Pics, which pump ?
Good chance the air-valve has gone, have you taken the caps off to inspect. Have you checked the two o-rings on the piston top thing are still find (it looks like they are the other air seal)

As far as I know the pump is the same as the MAG pump
The needle is standard pump/basketball length, it iirc less than 2mm diameter, thinner the better. Has a hole in the end and nowhere else.

I've been reading alot and expecting some emails and reply's before i opened, and specially because i 've checked with the seller and it was good when tested one his end... So the problem must be with the damn needle lol
The air comes off through the needle hole(insertion hole), the one on the fork, after 2 o 3 strokes. I've tried to put in some more grease on the top to prevent it from escaping but with no success... I had a MAG 21 but I dont remember how my pump was nor the needle : (

This needle has 3.3 cm and has on tope hole and one on the side. Maybe this "double action" is killing the procedure on some part.

well ill try some new things today lol
THANKS!

You could try asking TFTuned for advice. I'm not sure whether they can still service SIDs as old as that, but only because of lack of parts, somebody there will still remember them. And in my experience they are very helpful.

Anthony":2eim283b said:
You could try asking TFTuned for advice. I'm not sure whether they can still service SIDs as old as that, but only because of lack of parts, somebody there will still remember them. And in my experience they are very helpful.

thanks!! I've sent them an email.

Back