Fairbairn

wallonie11

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Thought this might be of interest:
fairbairn1.jpg

Harry Fairbairn is better known in the west of Scotland for the car dealerships he set up, selling BMW, Honda and Fiat. He was also a life long member and became sponsor to his club Ayr Roads. Before cars were bikes, believed to be rebadged Mercians. My father brought this bike off a former racer in the 70s - it was ever so slightly bent in a crash - the toe overlaps the wheel.
I got it stripped back and repainted last year, built up with 27" wheels and a mix of campag, mafac and cinelli. The crankset and seatpin are actually black anodized Super Record parts given to me by an American professor.
Be great to know of any other fairbairn frames out there
fairbairn4.jpg

fairbairn2.jpg

fairbairn3.jpg

Cheers - I have yet to find out! Before its rebuild (formerly a 5speed) it was super comfy, perfectly stiff but the rake of the forks and longer wheelbase were a treat. I need to get the rear wheel adjusted as it is not dished right (at some point its had a 130mm axle thrown at it so i need to get it fixed). Hoping it will be road worthy for the clocks changing!

Hi,
I can recall as a teenager visiting HF's shops in Irvine;a goldmine for the racing & leisure cyclist: frames from Rattrays- "The Flying Scot"; Italian models such as Gios & cabinets full of continental equipment from Campagnolo,Fiamme etc. As you are aware, Harry was a member of Ayr Roads Club who found him new competitor in 1944. In April of that year he was the fastest novice rider in the 10 mile time trial. It was his first ever race and led to a racing career that was to see him eventually become club champion, Ayrshire and Dumfriesshire Champion and Scottish Champion. He was the clubs first rider to represent his country. Cycling also started him on a very successful business career in both Bicycles/Motorbikes & Cars.
Regarding Harry's in-house mark or transfer for bikes- this was a capital H & F coloured green on black & superimposed one on the other in a block type script. I have an original 60's Moulton Deluxe supplied by HF which has the transfer displayed on the downtube.Little known fact that HF was chosen by Sir Alex Moulton to consumer test his new design of bike!!
I cannot recall seeing the type of script transfer which you have on your bike.
Hope this info helps....

this is great stuff - cheers.
Indeed - the decals on my bike are temporary, I have so far been unable to find an image of original decals in order to get a faithful reproduction so had these made up in the mean time. Don't suppose you would be able to send me a photo of the transfer on your moulton would you?
A senior Ayr Roads member described what they looked like to me, but hard to imagine without actually seeing a set!
Cheers

see attached photo: the colours are spoiled a bit by the camera flash....it's more lime green with blueish script & the old 'phone number for the Irvine shop!

this transfer was available in different sizes;may be possible for someone to copy for you using photoshop or other formats; I'm afraid my computer skills are limited......

Attachments

• jan 2012 011.jpg
    jan 2012 011.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 1,009
Back