Bargain Ebay bike lights

has anyone tried to run there magic shines on radio control car batteries?
they not the required 8.4v but 7.2v and with the option of high mha for much less than the other options, the reason I ask is that ive tried it and the outcome is slightly brighter and lasts longer, I think the rc batts give more delivery power but im not sure, also is this going to damage the led driver?
cheers,

Had my first proper night ride with my £20 1300Lm light yesterday, thought I'd leave an update. It's amazing! Very bright and good beam spread. Mount that came with it is difficult to get tight enough on bars, so may have to get a different style clamp. Apart from that I couldn't ask for any more from it. Best £20 I've ever spent.

eob: do you have a link?

i have the original thread starter light and its not very water proof! good 5mm of water floating around between the reflector and lens after one ride :LOL: bit of insulation tape sorted it though.

@ Jama - TedC posted the link to these at the bottom of page36

@ EoB - you reckon the bar mount is pants - any idea if the mount from the originally bargain ebay light would fit this torch?

These are the ones: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481 ... Categories

Not sure on whether you could use a mount from the original. Think the light has a 'shaft' diameter of around 20mm. I ran a search on eBay for torch bike mounts and a few come up with Velcro fittings so think that may do. The mount that comes with the light I got looks like it'll split in half so some bodgery with an old light bracket may do. Will have a go and update the thread with the results.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Cheers EoB,
The original eBay light has a "shaft" diameter of 27mm - so the search for a 20mm to 27mm shim begins :)

Bit of a result with the search for a new bracket for my Cree Torch...the one from my £5 (270Lm) eBay light fits with a small rubber shim between the light and the bracket. Had to unscrew the end from the light, then pushed it through the bracket with shims in place and popped it back together again. Job done, much more secure.

b601f34e.jpg

Brackets are available separately on eBay for £1.55 delivered: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Cycle-Li ... 35b430ad6d

Got two hours from one battery in my light, run at a mixture of full and medium been. So with the two batteries you get you should be good for 3-4hrs depending on beam used.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Well... with regard to the 1200 to 1600 lumen (depends on advert!) XM-L lights... the 'Assault XM-L' light I got from deal extreme appears to have broken today. Gave me a very dim red LED last night, so put it on charge for around 6 hours.

Tried it this morning and red LED.. not even a 'flash' when connecting the wires up :-( Bummer.

Bringing my multi meter home tonight and try to determine if it's the battery.

Scougar":2k3o8xwh said:
Well... with regard to the 1200 to 1600 lumen (depends on advert!) XM-L lights... the 'Assault XM-L' light I got from deal extreme appears to have broken today. Gave me a very dim red LED last night, so put it on charge for around 6 hours.

Tried it this morning and red LED.. not even a 'flash' when connecting the wires up :-( Bummer.

Bringing my multi meter home tonight and try to determine if it's the battery.

Be interested in an update because my light did exactly the same last week and I haven't a clue whether it's the battery or the light.

I don't seem to be getting a reading above 0.4v from the battery. I think it's buggered.

It could be a dodgy wire/connection of course, but reckon it's died.

Even though the battery is wrapped in a back the top taped up and then two cables ties to hold the bag on, and then placed inside a case.... I notice there is a tiny bit of rust showing (I think it's rust) on the bottom of the bag, coming from the battery. I will check this out.

Back