1980 Breezer Type II serial #JB B0 3

tintin40":26an0ype said:
Their are some rich Breezer fans out there. That really want this bike. Any guesses on the winning bid? 8000+

Would first flight cycles want this early bike?

I'm guessing $7500-8500 USD

bona fide piece of history to the mtb community......lovely, and utterly cool bike....i will watch with interest....if i buy it will anyone want a ride at mm?.... :D

Dr S":2k6gxuv3 said:
stanlee":2k6gxuv3 said:
Dr S":2k6gxuv3 said:
*Thank goodness for Charlie Cunningham whogave us long posts and standover height a few years after this bike.

You mean prior?

Well niether really. This Breezer was built in 1980. Charlie started in around 79 but as we have seen last month his first few bikes were also gates. Yes he was experimenting with longer posts and shorter framesets around the same time. My feelings are that the world woke up to his more radical designs a year or so on from 1980 when he teamed up with Potts and Slate and formed WTB. Until then I guess the Cunningham style was not widely known outside the locale. It certainly took a few years for other designers/builders/producers to follow suit so rightly or wrongly I always consider it to be a later evolution. Looking at bikes produced around 82/83 by Ritchey, Specialized and Univega, they all still employ short Campag or SR Laprade seatposts. Also looking at the early Mountain groupsets from Shimano and Suntour in 83/84 there are no long seatposts available. In short it took a few years for them to catch on and frame sizes to be reduced. So designed maybe, but commonplace no.

This isn't gospel though and I could be a few years out, but that's the way I see it based on what I have learnt over the years.

On this side of the pond we had other ways of getting around the fact that nobody made long seatposts.

Attachments

• 1979 Jack Taylor Roughstuff.jpg
    1979 Jack Taylor Roughstuff.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 2,281
  • 1979 Cleland Prototype in Iceland.jpg
    1979 Cleland Prototype in Iceland.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,281
Back