Single speed? I don't get it! What's the point?

To shove in my two penn'orth:
1 It makes you work harder, so you get fitter and tolerate pain better.
2 Losing speed from braking gets punished, you learn to corner faster
3 You get a crazy light bike just by dumping all that gear rubbish
4 It's amazing how much you don't need gears...

Now, if I lived in Norway and had to winch my way out of a fjord every ride, I wouldn't have one. But I don't.

OF COURSE it's not faster than a geared bike, all other things being equal. But it's not very much slower, indeed less than you would think!

hamster":1djnnimu said:
To shove in my two penn'orth:
1 It makes you work harder, so you get fitter and tolerate pain better.
2 Losing speed from braking gets punished, you learn to corner faster
3 You get a crazy light bike just by dumping all that gear rubbish
4 It's amazing how much you don't need gears...

Agree with all the above, plus I'd like to add......

5 Contrary to what those who haven't tried it seem to think, I find it easier on my body (back, knees) than riding a geared bike. Not so much time spent in the saddle is what makes the difference.
6 You have to be more proactive, become more "at one" with the bike, especially on a rigid singlespeed (the best kind....).
7 You can build a really nice, light rigid singlespeed for not a lot of money - conversley they also lend themselves to being really trick. Look at the beautiful cranks, chainrings, sprockets and hubs out there.
8 Silence!!! :cool: - well apart from CK or Hope rear hubs, but that's different.....

And before anyone asks - no, I don't use one in Greece (where there are real mountains) but that's only because I don't have one there. However, if I can find another medium Hummingbird frame (or something as nice) I'll build another to send out there. Or take my Carver 69er... :idea:

I went single speed when I could afford to keep overhauling the drivetrain. Thetford sand/grit equalled gears that worked well for a short time. Generally every year I had a big bill for cogs, chain, chain rings and cables never lased too long. So the bike wnet from 27 to 9 speed and then single speed as and when various bits wore out. I have never looked back. No I have a bike I do not have to fettle and require almost no maintance.

SS is low cost and fun. You can build a damm good SS for not alot of money. My last cost me less than £200 and than including building wheels and powder coating the frame.

I want to build a light weight one next maybe with a carbon frame with track ends. If one does not exist I think I want to get one made.

I love mine :cool:

karma/parts bin/el cheapo but worth just as much (emotionally) as any of my others and gets ridden a damn sight more!

the cost thing should not be ignored, it is not the primary reason (for me anyway), but for example, on my SS commuter, the drivetrain on my last one survived 4 and a half years of daily commuting before I replaced it and total cost for NEW replacement parts ~£20

chain £1.99 KMC (special offer on CRC)
freewheel £4.99
chainring £12.99

contrast that to my colleague who has to stump up for a yearly £70 drivetrain replacement, and that's buying bargain bits.

Lots of folk build them as a rescue bike type thing, then use them as basic get around bikes......perfect use I reckon.

Don't think my current one has needed adjusted in anyway or needed any parts in the 2yr or so it's been built, and to think its been a bike I bought new in 1999 it's certainly not costing me anything.

I've noticed that the jockey wheels don't wear out on my SS. Good enough reason for me.

Back