Motion Contol Poplock adjust etc.

Dead Rats

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Setting up some 2008 Reba Team U-Turn forks to my 180lb riding weight. Never had a fork with so much adjustment on it... and the manual is confusing my slightly hungover brain!

Rebound, travel, negative and positive air I understand, it's all the compression adjustment on the Poplock and Floodgate dial shenigans that's confusing me. The compression dial on the Poplock just seems to spin and not really do much :?

HELP!?

With those forks the poploc lever isn't just for lock out 'on or off', it also controls the low speed compression depending on how much you hold it in. The compression dial adjusts the point at which the poplock lever sits when its not in the lock out position.

With dual air rockshox you can also try the 60:60 rule; it suposed to make the forks feel alot plusher. The chart on the back of the fork will give you the manufacturers recomended settings for both +ve and -ve air chambers; for your 180lbs weight it states 145 PSI in both chambers. However using the 60:60 you set the +ve chamber to 60% of the manufacturers recommended pressure and the -ve chamber to 60% of that. So for you thats 87 PSI +ve and 52 PSI -ve. The spring rate should be the same as although there less air in the positive chamber there is even less acting against it in the negative chamber. Give it ago on over some tame stuff and see if it works.

Oh dear I sound like this:

http://www.thisiswhy.ip3.co.uk/stripsfo ... evalve.jpg

:LOL:

the Floodgate adjuster thing controls how easily the forks will 'blow-out' off lock out, is that right? sorry I'm just a real dumb ass

the Floodgate adjuster thing controls how easily the forks will 'blow-out' off lock out, is that right?

Yes. You can have it as either a pretty-much-full lock out, or have it as just a bit stiffer with the lever pressed, or anywhere in between.

Like the sound of the 60/60 thing, I've never really been happy with the feel of my Rebas. I've been lazy and not used them much instead of fiddling with them but I'm gonna give that a shot.

Rumble":3bntcskk said:
Like the sound of the 60/60 thing, I've never really been happy with the feel of my Rebas. I've been lazy and not used them much instead of fiddling with them but I'm gonna give that a shot.

me too, feels better but will test ride this week... worried about loss of negative air pressure which seems quite a common problem, but this link has some good tips:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... gone-wrong

Dead Rats":3nrok4ca said:
great stuff... will try the 60/60 pressure thing... still not clear on the first biyt of your answer though :oops: :LOL:

Wind the blue compression adjust knob on the pop lock all the way out and take note of where the lever is when not in the lock out position. Start winding the blue compression adjust knob in and you will notice the lever moving towards the lock out position. All its doing is adjusting the end stop for the lever, because the closer the lever is to its fully locked out position the more low speed compression damping you will get.

MikeD":3nrok4ca said:
the Floodgate adjuster thing controls how easily the forks will 'blow-out' off lock out, is that right?

Yes. You can have it as either a pretty-much-full lock out, or have it as just a bit stiffer with the lever pressed, or anywhere in between.

The flood gate is there so if the fork is locked out and you take a big hit, instead of the fork lock out feature just breaking the flood gate opens (like a blow off valve) and the fork absorbs the bump. The gold knob adjusts the flood gate so as Mike D said you can allow some fluid through and the lock out isn't as lock outy :LOL:

Back