Puncture repair - Best kits / patches

x2 for the park patches although 99% of the time if i get a punture i replace the tube and throw the old one to a mate of mine who goes through them like i go through my brekfast :LOL: :LOL:

Re: Ta

Chute55uk":1kqawnnt said:
s1monf":1kqawnnt said:
Thanks for the replies chaps.
I've just been looking at the Slime Lite tubes: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330579727240? ... 1438.l2649
The weight of the self sealing tubes has put me off before but these are only 218 grams.
Are these what you're using Chute55uk?
that will be the ones and looks like they are half the price of the halfords ones as well

218 grams is still a lot of weight to add to your wheelset... :shock:

All I ever buy are the self-adhesive patches from Halfords, and that because there's always a store I'm passing somewhere if I need to restock; couldn't even tell you what make they are... :roll:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Wilkinsons sell traditional glue and patch kits for 99p and they work very well.
If it really takes half an hour to repair a tube :shock: just carry a spare and fix the punctured ones at home.

warpedboy2":3p26y2ao said:
Half an hour to repair a pucture? :shock: :LOL:

10 mins to locate the bucket, empty and clean it, move washing up bowl from sink so you can put water in it.

7 mins to locate if/where the bubbles are coming from.

5 mins to locate the puncture kit.

8 mins to fiddle with chalk, rubber compound patches that won't stick.

I will admit I've never used these modern sticky patches but after spending more than my fair share of my teens with innner tubes in buckets for my BMX/racer I would rather bin it and put in a new one.

TGR's view

Obvious stuff....Always make sure you remove the cause of the puncture.Otherwise,guess what ?

Anyway, yes Wilkinsons 99p kit is the cheapest. But I did buy a kit on ebay via HK/China that was £1.49 delivered (in 6 days) with 48 medium sized patches and glue. Not tried them yet though.
Never had much luck with glue-less patches.
And don't like slime.Adds weight.

slime is great in the wheels on the buggy but i didn't like them when i had them in my bike, it felt strange, almost as if the slime hadn't gone around the tube evenly & it gave the whole riding experience an almost unpredictable straight line feeling as it seemed to surge as the heavier sides of the tube went from the top to the bottom quicker than they went from bottom to top!

on the bike, depending on the length of my ride, i'l take a couple of patches & a pair of spare tubes & tyre levers. if by some miracle i use both tubes i've got 2 knackered tubes and enough patches to fix them both if time allows.

another thing i find handy is to have a bottle / camelback of water. sounds daft but i tend to ride with 2 bottles, 1 of juice & the other water. it comes in handy or puncture location, washing grit / bugs out of your eyes and you can also drink it!

I use skab patches on the trails but also have used park ones. But on my MTB I rarely get punctures. I woudl avoid slimeas these tubes cannot be patched and make a mess of backpack.

I would fit tyres that are more puncture resitant. For years I have riden Conti Verticals have not had a puncture for years and at Thetford we have sharp flint which cuts through anything given a chance.

+1 on removing whatever caused the puncture. You cannot beat running your bare fingers over the inside of the tyre. If there is anything sharp you will feel it unless its really cold.

Have patched the Spesh latex-filled tubes in the past (you can still pinch them if you're being a complete dingbat) with no trouble. I think the only one I killed was from a syringe when I was short-cutting behind a (classy) pub :roll:

MADJEZ":27gheoiz said:
10 mins to locate the bucket, empty and clean it, move washing up bowl from sink so you can put water in it.

7 mins to locate if/where the bubbles are coming from......

I have never failed to find a puncture that required a bucket or sink

95% of them are bleeding obvious... the remaining 5% ?

just lick ones lips (steady lads ;) ) and run lightly inflated the tube close to your mouth and feel the little cold draught... works everytime, even outdoors in the wind

G

Back