Single speed? I don't get it! What's the point?

Proper MTB rides don't usually involve much in the way of accelerating away from traffic lights ;)

I actually found it faster over a given ride as a whole. The time lost by not pedalling on the descents was more than cancelled out by having to go up the climbs much faster than normal.

World Cup racers don't use singlespeeds. Ergo not faster :)

I've often found them quite effective for endurance racing on the right course, mainly because of not having a big gear -- given gears I tend to blow myself to bits pushing the big ring on descents, take them away and it's cruise and recover. And then recover some more pushing up the climbs ;)

MikeD":2k3j3bjb said:
Proper MTB rides don't usually involve much in the way of accelerating away from traffic lights ;)

True, but then again there's not much offroading to be done here (apart from all the roadworks going on).
Still, acceleration from a standstill is the same on and off the road (apart from the grip level perhaps), so the basic principle still stands.

Tuh...
You need hills to appreciate SS. Flatland doesn't cut it. You can take all the advice, fit 32:16 and pedal around getting nowhere fast.
SS is for going up, fast, or going down, preferably down something steep. Flat land is the least enjoyable part of SS- a bit like cycling in general. ;)

Personally I try to keep moving off-road :)

SS is very agreeable on the right sort of trails. Woodsy singletrack's good because you'd use a middling gear anyway. They're pretty good on UK trail centre stuff too -- the climbs tend to be reasonably mellow to stop them washing away.

You're right, though, it's always going to be a compromise. Or, to put it another way, you're nearly always in the wrong gear ;)

MikeD":3ewfs425 said:
Personally I try to keep moving off-road :)

You're right, though, it's always going to be a compromise. Or, to put it another way, you're nearly always in the wrong gear ;)
Yeah, but it isn't a gear you've just selected!
I find I can clear technical climbs, SS, that I never could geared, possibly 'cos I'm thinking about the line, rather than what gear to be in. :p

I've taken a some of what I learned climbing singlespeed back to a geared bike and it's definitely helped me improve. Mainly understanding what i'm capable of, attacking climbs and keeping momentum.

The thing I love about SS'ing is taking on climbs where you have no choice but to go for it. 100% commitment or fail, no other choices. It's all about getting your mind sorted and using body english to shift your weight around to keep the rear wheel gripping so you don't spin out or stall. The sceptics should try it, they may learn a thing or two.

I haven't got a clue why single speeds are popular but 2 people in my local bike group have gone single speed so on Friday I joined them and bought the ss alpinestars from on here. :cool:

First impressions are that I like the idea and the bars look simple but I haven't actually ridden it yet :roll:

Back