Single speed? I don't get it! What's the point?

single speed

fair play to them i say, ive just started running 1x9 after twenty years of realising that i never move out the middle ring. havent got the bottle to do away with all my gears yet, or the legs. i think its the simplicity that gets people hooked

i only have a single speed (slow) all my bikes have gears makes no difference to me im still slow

mikee":2fdqt6vo said:
it builds fitness and if rigid skills ,it also pisses of people on modern full suss trail park bikes

Sure does, especially when you keep up and over take them ;)

I find it so enjoyable, the simplicity, I find I ride mine 95% of the time

Search broken, is it? ;)

Let's not get carried away, though. SS is heaps of fun and great in all sorts of ways, but gears are faster and more efficient. Otherwise they wouldn't exist :)

I started on a BMX as a kid, nicely greased freewheel, smooth tyres and it just rolled and hummed over the park almost silent, smooooth.

I can only wonder what a fixie is like for that rider and bike as one feeling.

Add to the list:

Aesthetics - uncluttered frame to appreciate.

But then a fixie takes that a stage further by ditching the brakes.

If your riding a fixie without brakes and a traffic cop spots you then your for it. You only need one brake mind but aesthetics aside the laws the law ;)

velomaniac":1d8jjfx9 said:
If your riding a fixie without brakes and a traffic cop spots you then your for it. You only need one brake mind but aesthetics aside the laws the law ;)

Technically you shouldn't, but I don't know of anyone in London having being pulled for this. Jumping red lights/riding on the pavement yes, but riding fixed without a front brake (as that is all that is required) no. I did pass a Policewoman on a bike riding through the City without any lights at 7:45 on Thursday night though. Tut tut.

Kitmech":13lvmrqb said:
Basically I don't get single speed! What is the point in it? Surely mountain bikes are ment to have gears.

Can anyone tell me what the appeal is and try and change my mind?

so come on explain your self , the fact you posted this makes you guilty by association

your s/s curious ...... :LOL: you know you are

build a cheap one and try it

I ran SS on a bike for a while, it was ok, quite enjoyed it really. I ran 32:16 and found that climbing was a sprint or not at all. The two reasons I went back to gears were I got tired of waiting for my mates at the top of climbs and, more importantly, my knees were telling me they prefer gears.

Tried the basic principle for a while. I put the bike in a nice gear and stuck with that.
It took me 3 seconds to work out that a proper MTB is WAY faster, but I kept it in the same gear for 5 miles anyway.

Basically your options are :

- set it up for top speed and you'll never get up to any speed at all.
- set it up for speed and forget all about getting away first at the lights.
- set it up for acceleration and pedal yourself crazy whenever you want to get past 20mph.

Me, I want it all. I want to be the first away from the red lights AND reach high speeds at a fairly normal cadence. An SS just doesn't allow both at the same time.
Maybe I'd put a hub gear on an MTB someday if I want to clean up the looks, but SS ... no thanks.

Back