Single speed? I don't get it! What's the point?

I have an MTB set up as a city bike (although I also ride SS off road), through London it is no slower than any other bike, we all have to stop at lights every 50 yards (well we are all supposed to), there are no hills to speak of, its less maintenance, its less to think about, it improves your cadence.

yes its like walking in London, Copenhagen, Paris, NY and you see all the people with Gore-Tex climbing jackets, hiking boots etc... think they are trying to tell something...

No its not. Walking 20 miles round a city in typical English weather in sandals and with no rind/wain protection is plain daft. Admittedly trying to ride up the side of a real Mountain on a single speed would be daft, but the term 'Mountain Bike' does not preclude bikes that are not ridden on actual Mountains.

Maintenance - It's simple.
Fitness - You just keep pedaling.
Fun - You 'feel' the ride more.
Noise - It's smoother.

I was about to post a list, and then realised that stewewis above had covered most of the salient points.

Put it like this, in our group that rides on Wednesday evenings (numbers vary from 5 to 15), the riders that are consistently fastest, smoothest, and less likely to have a mechanical all ride single-speeds......and that is on pretty steep terrain too.

Without SS mtb's as we know them today would never have been developed ie the Repackers.
This is retrobike, SS is retro, the more gears you have the less retro your getting.
You might as well ask why retrobike, I just dont get it ?

Plus put a superfit SS racer on a geared mtb and he'll blow you into the weeds. Fast SS riders are XC whippets on steroids ;)

REKIBorter":3pulrbyt said:
If you ask the question you will never get it. Try it first, then you will be enlightened.

Pretty much this. I slated it then got an FS which was suited for it so tried it (had to be done eh!). LOve it!

Mountains can be done, the correct ratio has to be chosen.

it builds fitness and if rigid skills ,it also pisses of people on modern full suss trail park bikes

you might ask mountain bikes whats the point ?

or more poignient xxxxxxxx whats the point ?

Back