The Unofficial Official Photography Thread...

was just wondering why this isn't used more.....

i am really enjoying messing around with my two little camera's

two of my fav pics so far

011-1.jpg

really like the short depth of fields shots for small items, not so keen on the ones with whole bikes in though.

nice tree shot

036.jpg

can i ask how best to capture a pic of a bike? mine always seem to be washed out and flat...is it just a longer exposure or are there any other tips. will be stuck with two fairly basic digi's at the mo.

example:-

018-3.jpg

really not much going on :(

i also really liked this one.

pitch black room, long exposure and a torch shone on the frame.

not a single vote :( is it just cos and 'effect' was used? or is it actually poor? critique welcome, i have very thick skin :LOL:

zaskar016.jpg

i'm a bit rubbish with cameras ,but every now and then i get one or two
i'm happy with
i did hope this would be an instructional thread , so any experts see anything i should be doing better ?
P1030540.jpg

P1030956.jpg

P1030587.jpg

mikee":1lmiqxhs said:
i'm happy with
i did hope this would be an instructional thread , so any experts see anything i should be doing better ?

it depends what you are after boss. the first picture look ok, good angle - you must have been laid down looking up pretty much?

the second picture doesnt really do it for me. it is a bit too dark. if your camera has a setting to adjust the shutter speed you could maybe have given it a bit more time for the sensor to take in more light therefore make the bike stand out a bit more, or lit the shot a bit. i think a flash would have ruined it to be fair. i think the angle of the bike is a bit too contrived, although it does make for a more interesting pic.

third picture is brilliana squashed banana

maybe try reading up on composition - you dont need fancy equipment or mad photoshop skillz for that. employ/experiment with the rule of thirds. try and lead the eye into the pic like the wire fence does so well in that last pic.

jamabikes":2gp0ifwi said:
i also really liked this one.

pitch black room, long exposure and a torch shone on the frame.

not a single vote :( is it just cos and 'effect' was used? or is it actually poor? critique welcome, i have very thick skin :LOL:

zaskar016.jpg

it didnt float my boat as it looked over processed and lacked detail. just my thoughts and dont want to sound harsh ro as if i think i know everything.

looking at some of your other pictures you clearly have an eye for a good shot.

as for bike pictures, best thing to do is look at a picture you like and then try and find out why you like it.

backgroud is key IMO. also adjust the apeture enough to have the whole bike in focus but the background blurred. try and prop the bike up with a stick or something other than a wall (unless it is a particularly good wall - there is a pic on this site somewhere of a dekerf(?) against a run down looking wall with graffiti saying "i love you but i have chosen rock" - i need to find that again because it is a fantastic pic. anyway, in that pic it is composed so the wall becomes a feature.

i try and shoot my bikes from a low angle - it just seems to make them look a little better.

99% of people will prop their bike against a wall/fence/bush, take a few steps back, point, shoot. if you can do something different to that you have made something that will stand out

found it!

love this shot by kikaha, bike against a wall. but what a wall

030910171928.jpg

lewis1641":2v70zs1b said:
mikee":2v70zs1b said:
i'm happy with

it depends what you are after boss. the first picture look ok, good angle - you must have been laid down looking up pretty much?

the second picture doesnt really do it for me. it is a bit too dark. if your camera has a setting to adjust the shutter speed you could maybe have given it a bit more time for the sensor to take in more light therefore make the bike stand out a bit more, or lit the shot a bit. i think a flash would have ruined it to be fair. i think the angle of the bike is a bit too contrived, although it does make for a more interesting pic.

third picture is brilliana squashed banana

maybe try reading up on composition - you dont need fancy equipment or mad photoshop skillz for that. employ/experiment with the rule of thirds. try and lead the eye into the pic like the wire fence does so well in that last pic.

this is maybe a better shot from the rts ones ,i just wish i'd taken the light off

P1030951.jpg

thing is i won competitions when i was a kid using a 35mm slr zenith
b/w film , some rac rally pics and motocross stuff ,in amatuer photographer and a bbc sponsored competition
this digi stuff (panasonic tz7 and i-phone ) should be easier
thanks for the tips tho ,i will make it a goal to get better at this

Back