1978 Peugeot "super competition"

I know it's a daft question, but what diameter seatpost is the Super Competition frame ? I've tried a 26.6mm but it's too big.

I was asking myself the same question! I don't have a set of vernier calipers (maybe a purchase for this weekend), but I measured it with a ruler, see the pic.
It looks a little bigger than 26mm, I would guess 26.2. But don't take my word for it (I certainly don't!).

Attachments

• seattubesize2.JPG
    seattubesize2.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,149
These panto'd cranks arrived today. They are stamped 79, so exactly the right period (although not original equipment with this model). I'm planning a trip to the LBS to get the pedal threads reptapped to 9/16th (they are 14mm now) so I can use my spds: it'll be my everyday commuter. I also need a pair of bolts to attach the cranks to the BB.

I gave the frame a second wax this evening: it's starting to look nice and shiny.

The mystery donor bike is waiting at the post office: I was out when they delivered, worst luck. Now I'll have fetch it when I find some time and carry it home myself...

Attachments

• cranks.JPG
    cranks.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,145
That crankset is gorgeous - nice find.

Might be asking a silly question but have you been looking at French eBay when you've been after parts? I only ask because there often seem to be plenty of Mafac centre-pulls on there. Some people restrict their searches to UK eBay.

seatpost

these classic pug frames are a bit funny on seat post sizes - 26.4mm is used quite a bit (not by anybody else mind you!). nice frame - very 70's.

now with waxed frame, CLB brakes, "BF" stem and no-name bars. Have "sulky" brake levers and pug chainset still to install. Need new brake cables/pads, correct-sized seat post, and bar tape before I can switch over my (fixed) wheels and ride.

Attachments

• overview.JPG
    overview.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,577
  • toptube.JPG
    toptube.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,577
  • backbrake.JPG
    backbrake.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,577
  • seattube2.JPG
    seattube2.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 1,577
I went to the bike jumble at Manchester Velodrome this morning. I picked up a nice 26.2 mm NOS Gipiemme seatpost that fits my Super Competition perfectly.

I have now got this frame built up. I though I should take a few photos before it goes into full commuter mode and get it's looks ruined by lights, bells, whistles, reflectors and so on! I've used it for one day's commute so far: everything seems in order. The gear's a little higher than what I was using before, so i had to strain up the hills. Downhill was much easier, though...

Frame/Fork: Peugeot Super competition PV10, 1978/9. 531 main tubes & forrk. ~58 cm seattube c-t.
Headset: lightrace
Brake Levers: Sulky
Brake Calipers: CLB
Cranks: Peugeot branded
Bottom Bracket: stronglight
Pedals: MKS, christophe clips and straps
Rims: front campag lambda strada, rear mavic (modern, can't remember which model off hand)
Hubs: front - campag (chorus?), rear - systemEX fixed-fixed flip-flop
Gear: 52 x 20, giving around 70"
Saddle: cheap plastic
Seatpost: ITM (?)

The cranks have been dropped off at the LBS for re-threading to 9/16th, to allow me use my spds.

some pics

Attachments

• final_seattube.JPG
    final_seattube.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,446
  • final_toptube.jpg
    final_toptube.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,446
  • final_overview.jpg
    final_overview.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,446
Back