MacKlunker - SATURDAY 5th MAY, Postponed...

The pioneers of our sport rode down a scary steep dirt road on bikes with only one rear coaster brake.

We will ride down a less steep and scary dirt road and if we are even vaguely trying to emulate the pioneers we need less than perfect modern brakes.

Thus here is the simple plan, if you have good brakes such as discs or vee's then you will need to disable the front brake. If you dont you've lost even if you have the best time. If you have canti's you might get away with two if I think they're crap enough. If you have caliper, coaster or drum you can have two brakes but again if I think they're crap enough, some drums are good though not Dr.S's :LOL: Coasters are good until they catch fire but they dont have modulation, they're either on or off unless your very gentle with your feet, thus a locked up slide on corners for me and Eck :shock: :LOL:

In order to attract more of you along you can bring a mtb if your a shandy drinking mincer whose not afraid to admit it but the above brake rules apply.

Event is for early may, still not decided the exact date.

Dave, there was the last corner I didn't make, I think braking before that might have been a good idea, shame I didn't.

The Ken":h2huq7sd said:
Dave, there was the last corner I didn't make, I think braking before that might have been a good idea, shame I didn't.

apart from "Ken Kurves", there's not much braking needed....

Davedownhill":1jpjjicr said:
The Ken":1jpjjicr said:

apart from "Ken Kurves", there's not much braking needed....

There is you're a coward on something that is likely to fall apart.

Kens Kurve :LOL:

I think we should come up with names for the different bits of the course like the repackers have.

The old concrete tank we start from could be 'Inners Cistern' which was what it would ultimately have been :D

As for not needing brakes, I will not be a brakeless rider, 20 inch wheels wash out easily on loose terrain when banked over but I'm keen to try the descent on only my coaster brake :shock:

Provisionally based on the objections some folk have made would one of the days of the weekend of 12th/13th May 2012 be acceptable ?

Have we set a date yet?

Stripped the hubs down on the Klunker at the weekend. Rear had no grease left in it. Cleaned the braking surfaces and sanded the glaze off the shoes, adjusted them, refitted and adjusted the cables and did a test run on the street outside. Brakes are now around 50% worse than before I started.

Please please please, if you hear me coming down the road, get the f*%# out of my way unless you want 52lbs of American Iron hitting you!

Si

Trying to narrow date down to say 12 or 13 May 2012.

Also going to be very lax on rules, what rules :?
You need something with wheels but no engine, preferably a bike, preferably not a mtb but I'm not going to be strict.
Infact I may have 3 classes, 1-Klunkers, 2-50% reduced braking mtb's, 3-Wheeled contrivances that are not bikes like DaveDH's mountain board.
I propose slogging to the top for a game of Bicycle Shinty in the old water tank (Bike Polo without the tedious rules :roll: ) Then first timed descent. Slog back up for say a back wheel skid contest then second timed descent.
Then prizes after times calculated with suitable bribery related adjustments :p

Si I'm liking your brake fettling, I'll get you to tamper with any mtb's that show to even up the field :twisted:

12th/13th of may is no good for me - I'll be doing the Etape Caledonian and need to be up there both days.

Back