Gitane Grand Sport / Campagnolo

bikenut2010

Senior Retro Guru
Latest project:

This is up for sale in the Sale thread but thought you'd like a look here :)
59cm frameset
Campagnolo Sport crankset in Chromed steel ( v rare)
Normandy hubs and rigida superchrome rims
Huret derailleur set
Weinmann brakes and pedals

Attachments

• DSC00083.jpg
    DSC00083.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 1,996
That's nice - too big for me (or I'd have thought about it...) but it will be a nice addition for somebody. Do you know what sort of tubing it has?

Good luck with the sale.

No idea on tubing , I'll check the catalog... probably 501 DB or similar.

I'm 5'8" and it's fine, not a lot of clearance standover-wise but not life threatening!

Surprisingly comfortable ride. The fashion back then was bigger frames and short seat tubes...
:eek: :)

frame

Rich34":23tblp4n said:
That's nice - too big for me (or I'd have thought about it...) but it will be a nice addition for somebody. Do you know what sort of tubing it has?

Good luck with the sale.

71 catalog quotes Durifort for this model ;-)

Doubtful it's reynolds. In all honesty I'd remove the chainset whack on something cheap and cheerful and knock it out as a hack. Gitane are quirky French bikes and not highly desirable unless they're high end, they did make some lovely team reps etc.

Tel":29t6cuw7 said:
Doubtful it's reynolds. In all honesty I'd remove the chainset whack on something cheap and cheerful and knock it out as a hack. Gitane are quirky French bikes and not highly desirable unless they're high end, they did make some lovely team reps etc.

Hi Tel

Catalogue says Durafort tubing, I was going to do as you suggested; a campy sport chrome crankset went for £125 last week
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250963005833? ... 126wt_1397
so £220 with new cables etc leaves the buyer the option, I'll chuck in a nice clean SR Silstar with the sale if a buyer wants to go that route. trying not to part it out this time!
:) :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I think Durifort was made by the same company that made Vitus and Super Vitus tubing, so it's decent, butted (or double-butted) enough stuff. As the earlier posts say, maybe on a par with Reynolds 501?

It's true that it's not a top of the range Gitane but it's a lovely bike anyway.

Back