1968 Harry Quinn Road Champion

kohl57@yahoo.com

Old School Hero
I recently completed restoration of a c. 1968 Harry Quinn "Road Champion". This was bought on eBay (USA) back in 2006 as a repainted (poorly) frameset and repainted by Circle A Cycles and fitted out in period correct style.

A beautiful example of framebuilding art from this famous builder with his characteristic fastback stays (one of the first to employ this) giving a very responsive ride.

Full details and more pix here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9157103@N0 ... 650532301/

Attachments

• 6606816387_d6f69b5047_b.jpg
    6606816387_d6f69b5047_b.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 1,782
What a fantastic looking machine.

Love to see some more detailed images. Is that a Brooks or Lycett saddle. Notice it has a Britannia (?) pump too...

:cool:

kohl57@yahoo.com":2rntyiml said:
A beautiful example of framebuilding art from this famous builder with his characteristic fastback stays (one of the first to employ this) giving a very responsive ride.

Tom Board is the framebuilder most commonly attributed with this style of seatstay - there was correspondence on this very subject in 2011 in News & Views magazine.

I have a Jenson built Geoffrey Butler that predates this Quinn by several years and employs this style of stay.

Nervex also produced this as a catalogue item.

Nice bicycle, but showing a great deal of stem extension and a most peculiar saddle position.

Roadking.

Nice bicycle, but showing a great deal of stem extension and a most peculiar saddle position.

Roadking.

some people have to find to find fault in everything.... :roll:

Great restoration :D

oldmuthariley":2kis04no said:

Roadking.

some people have to find to find fault in everything.... :roll:

Great restoration :D

As people in california say...
" if you want to avoid earthquakes, don't dwell on faults..."

:cool:

HQDP":2vkwmxxo said:
stunning!
where did you find the head-tube decal?
what tubing is it?

Lloyds supplied the decals. The tubing is most likely Reynolds 531. Quinns of this era seldom have tubing transfers and I think this was because they were painted by an outside contractor (G&C Finishers, Liverpool) who probably never got the transfers from the tubing sets or something.

Takes a 27.0 seatpin so most likely Reynolds

nice

Beautiful, love the vibrant colour too. Was noticing the full length pump and admiring with envy. On a steel diamond frame a pump doesn't look out of place at all, hugely functional, and can sometimes add to the detailing. Fast forward and we've all got over heavy muscles from silly minipumps :(

Re: nice

wallonie11":870hvgy4 said:
Beautiful, love the vibrant colour too. Was noticing the full length pump and admiring with envy. On a steel diamond frame a pump doesn't look out of place at all, hugely functional, and can sometimes add to the detailing. Fast forward and we've all got over heavy muscles from silly minipumps :(

Yep, love these big chunky Britannia pumps with the cool logo. I was riding my Falcon San Remo last year with the same pump and actually had a young rider ask "what's the white cylinder thing"? Yikes.

The saddle is a Brooks Swallow.

As for the colour, one can (or shouldn't) be bashful about picking colours for 50s-60s British road iron... I think their bold paint jobs, lavish lug lining, lashings of chrome and transfers are what makes them so distinctive and appealing.

Back