97 HeiHei coming on nicely

Very nice. Always liked the Hei Hei. That one looks in great shape. Not too sure about the purple ano though. Maybe blue ano would tone in with the decals better. Just my opinion but still like it.

Hei Hei

OT-mtbr":z3bicc45 said:
Very nice. Always liked the Hei Hei. That one looks in great shape. Not too sure about the purple ano though. Maybe blue ano would tone in with the decals better. Just my opinion but still like it.

Yea agree, but that's the correct decals for the '97 HeiHei-King Kahuna, the standard Hei Hei had Yellow centered Decals.
Might have to swap all the 3 Dv for deep Blue :? :shock:
The Blue is dead easy to source, but purple King's and Pauls are very difficult to find.

Other point is, trying to take a good photo of £dv purple with a digi cam is impossible. In the flesh, it's all really dark, but always looks faded pinkish on a digi image :cry:

Re: Hei Hei

Wold Ranger":1mc1lk4p said:
Other point is, trying to take a good photo of £dv purple with a digi cam is impossible. In the flesh, it's all really dark, but always looks faded pinkish on a digi image :cry:

Do a custom white balance from a white or 18% grey card under the same light as the bike is in, photograph in diffuse light (on a dull day) and be careful not to blow any highlights on shiny components (check your histogram after a test shot and dial in some minus compensation if needed).

Or take in RAW format and adjust the colour temp. in post-processing to give you the look that you want.

I personally don't think that you've done a bad job anyway - doesn't look pink on my monitor except where the highlights have blown a bit :cool:.

Just out of interest, it isn't a Hei Hei, it's a King Kahuna. The Hei Hei didn't have the gussets on the top and down tubes.

1997 King Kahunas had the same Hei Hei decals on the top tube as the Hei Hei, but it also said King Kahuna in lower case script on the seat stays, and those seat stay decals have presumably come off on your example.

The King Kahuna frames sold for £300 more than the Hei Hei, but nevertheless attracted the great majority of sales, as they were perceived to be 'better'. That may be a matter of taste, but they are slightly stiffer and heavier than the Hei Hei, so certainly better for racing.

Edit
I'm sorry, I've just noticed that you already said that! :oops:

Anthony":il7tswbg said:
Just out of interest, it isn't a Hei Hei, it's a King Kahuna. The Hei Hei didn't have the gussets on the top and down tubes.

1997 King Kahunas had the same Hei Hei decals on the top tube as the Hei Hei, but it also said King Kahuna in lower case script on the seat stays, and those seat stay decals have presumably come off on your example.

The King Kahuna frames sold for £300 more than the Hei Hei, but nevertheless attracted the great majority of sales, as they were perceived to be 'better'. That may be a matter of taste, but they are slightly stiffer and heavier than the Hei Hei, so certainly better for racing.

Edit
I'm sorry, I've just noticed that you already said that! :oops:

Yes, I actually removed the seat stay decals, as felt they looked "overkill" like an afterthought of just putting decals on for the sake of it.
The 6/4 rear triangle is quite a bit stiffer than a regular 3.25 HeiHei, but it typically still takes the sting out of the trail, as only good Ti can.
Thanks for all the kind comments guys and it's still a case of "work in progress" :oops:
Have some newer/lighter/nicer tyres on the way, have the same WTB Pure Race Carbon saddle in "all Black" so room for a bit of tinkering still :roll: :D

Back