Shock help for FSR 99

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
right, i finally got my Elite up and running yesterday.
the only problem i have is with the rear shock.

the sag on it seems to use up around 90% of the travel. the LBS i went in to yesterday suggested it may not be the right shock for the bike frame. I'm guessing this has something to do with how the linkage operates?

The shock i have is 165mm i2i. not sure of the stroke length yet.
I was also told that i'd need to find out the spec of the frame in terms of what shock is suited to it.
I know from Bikepedia it came with a 4.5" fox vanilla coil shock but i cant find one of these for sale anywhere.

How can i clarify exactly what i need with what i have?

any help will be appreciated as i have little knowledge of rear shocks and setups etc...

bigmick":24dytedn said:
what air pressure are you using

i don't not know this yet. i dont have a shock pump, thinking i should probably get one.....

it has been serviced at mojo and i remember opting to have the shock pressurised to my weight...i may be making this up though...

i've a fox float R on mine, and it works fine.
i'll admit that i weigh naff all, but as long as you set the pressure correctly it should be good.

setting the sag on the shock is as simple as putting enough pressure in. sag should be approx 10mm on the shaft

i had a feeling it was that, its a fox triad 165mm i2i, not sure of the stroke length but i'll whack some air in and see what happens.
the chap in the LBS went on to talk about shim stack types, but that's a bit beyond me......:S
will start with the simplest solution first and go from there!

Back