1991 Marin Bear Valley - New Pics 26/04

saltyman":447bwxmo said:

Who me :?:

Thanks for the comps guy's. Luckily it's already in good clean shape.. the only thing required (or not as the case may be) is a strip, clean, regrease, possibly new cables and rebuild. First thoughts [naturally] were to get on the bike and ride it to upgrade city as it weighs as much as four Range Rovers, but having thought about it a bit longer I think that would be a mistake. The Bear V was a low/mid range Marin and that's how it's gonna stay. I might bang some slicks on it every now and then and use it to go to work on for a change from my modern commute and I would like to replace the 'Bear Valley' decals on each side but other than that it will remain an ungrade virgin :cool:

The temptation to get started is absolutely killing me, however if she arrives back home with me in the bath-tub with a half-naked frame my life will be no more by about 6:17pm :(

Absolutely loving the mild weather; I was able to spend the afternoon on my newly acquired Bear Valley :D

I completely stripped it down and degreased/regreased everything then built it back up. Although it arrived in clean condition from stuntjumper the BV did benefit massively from a rebuild and T-cut/Autoglym wax treatment. I've replaced the gear cables for new and exchanged the nasty stock cantis for some half decent Dia Compe 987s. They're purple and clash beautifully with the hi-viz frame. I've also fit a loud pink Zefal bottle cage which also clashes; I kind of feel that anything could go (colourwise) on this frame. But IMO what really sets it off is the jet black 400LX cranks and the black rims/amberwall tyres. Pedals are new as well; I had some Tioga Surefoots knocking about to replace the tired stock pedals.

Unfortunately the bottom bracket is shot but I don't have the correct tool to remove it so I'll wait until a cheap one comes on the bay.... the only other thing that needs attention is a couple of the decals. I would like to replace the 'BEAR VALLEY' decals on the crossbar as they're a bit knackered and I need to replace the 'N' on the driveside 'MARIN'.

There's still a couple of hours left of the BV, mainly just tweaking and further polishing but I couldn't resist posting a pre-finished article piccy. I'm honestly so pleased with the beauty; I know its pretty basic spec-wise but there's just something about it that oozes quality.... and for what I paid (including shipping from the Netherlands) you just can't beat it for value.... I mean I dread to think what you can pick up in Hally for the same kind of dosh :!:

Punching well above it's weight I know but if I manage to finish it off in time I may enter it for BOTM :cool:

DSC_6471.jpg

I love this bike

Hello. I am new here.
A few weeks ago I bought the same model. Not in such a good condition. My investigation about this bike brought me to this forum and the article of stumpjumper 1990. And now I saw, that he sold it to you happy guy.
Next days I will write and show pictures.
Yours
LikeBike
(excuse me, if me english writing is not always correct)

This was an absolutely beauty when Bart owned it. It is an absolutely beauty now that you own it and someday it'll still be an absolutely beauty when i'll own that RastafaraiiiNeonMonsterBearValley 10 years from now. ;)

I hope you will take a hundred pics...'cause i can't stop starring at this thing.
:shock:

Back