Great big Singlespeed thread!

AndyPA":15xh326z said:
neebsta":15xh326z said:
Andy,

You can do either. Buy a single speed specific wheel like Chris King, or use any wheel with cassette capability and instead of a cassette you fit a cheap single speed conversion kit. A great and cost effective way if you have spare wheels kicking around!
thanks what wheel set from here ,mid range ? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mtb/wheels/

It depends on your budget! If it's your first try at single speed I'd say the cheaper the better!

Im going ss rear hub
If you built a dream steel frame ,what tubing ? what adjustable rear drop outs ?

AndyPA":qor563mc said:
Im going ss rear hub
If you built a dream steel frame ,what tubing ? what adjustable rear drop outs ?

Not, sure...these are questions which vary massively on preference. I'm getting a Salsa El Mariachi as it's a 29er (want to try) it's got alternator drop outs and can be run SS or geared easily. I don't then have scores of bikes littering the garage. One bike performs a multitude of jobs, or so I hope!

3 bikes max is my new mantra!

Any body else got any input ? would a lugged ss custom frame be too left-field ? Lets hear your thoughts special cable routing etc etc ?

Look at....

Orange 71 had a lovely SS custom frame built, have a search in the Readers bikes 98 ----> it will I'm sure give you some great ideas.

I've added a small FAQ's to the OP, now in no way is it to stifle chat but hopefully be resource for singlespeeders.

If there are any threads you can think of that could be added post the links and I'll add it to the FAQ.

Ive bought a set of 853 tubing with Dedecia curved seat stays and paragon sliding drop outs,I am going to build something similar to a Black Cat frame.
If anybody is interested I will show the build or post a link

AndyPA":3f68ncim said:
Ive bought a set of 853 tubing with Dedecia curved seat stays and paragon sliding drop outs,I am going to build something similar to a Black Cat frame.
If anybody is interested I will show the build or post a link

Sounds interesting, I think that diserves it's own build thread :)

Finished my first SS this weekend - Airborne Mosquito. Loving it :)

Attachments

• airborne2.jpg
    airborne2.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 2,958
Back