Newbie with a Wisp Mixte

Bronzemedallist

Retro Newbie
So I just picked up a Raleigh Wisp Mixte - 45 quid complete , one lady owner.
Need to fix it up for my wife to commute on.
assuming the wheels are in good shape i will keep them - same goes for the cranks if possible. So here's the question, can i put a new 5 speed freewheel on, Shimano Tourney Rear mech and a basic shimano 5 sp thumb shifter - i can find all these things relatively cheaply. I know its not a proper restoration job but will it work.?
I figure she defo needs index shifting.
could do with a few gears for getting from kings cross up to archway.
Alternatively I suppose I will make it single speed freewheel for her... opinions on that ? or is single speed frowned upon round these parts ?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 636
single speed is frowned on how dare you even consider such an option !

joking apart i use single speed bikes a lot as most of my route is done over same route so once i get the gearing right all i have to di is ride .

i find it much easier but thats me

best let the other half decide or else

Wispy

Ha ha . So anyone think I can just replace the old 5speed with a new one , match with a rear mech and cheapo sis 5 sp thumbie shifter ?

Re: Wispy

Bronzemedallist":bozg04wz said:
Ha ha . So anyone think I can just replace the old 5speed with a new one , match with a rear mech and cheapo sis 5 sp thumbie shifter ?
Yes you can do that. Any screw-on 5-speed freewheel will fit and there are lots to choose from. I think I put a cheapy 15-28 on my girlfriend's Mixte for a relaxed set of gears. The derailleur is a steel Shimano jobbie which was about £6 new. Not sure if you can get indexed shifters for 5-speeds though?

Wisp

Ta - I can get a basic 5 speed shim shifter on ebay - not pretty but hopefully unobtrusive. We'll see how it goes - i'll share how I get on in a few weeks.

Back