1980 Breezer Type II serial #JB B0 3

Now this is an amazing bike. Majestic and powerful in its large size. I'm 6'4"and this retro grail would fit me nice. Would look great next to my Cunningham.
So how high is it gonna go?

halaburt":1iqa5ekc said:
I'd much rather see (and ride) a bike that actually fits instead of a "normal" size frame with a stupid 20" long seat post and 8" drop to the handlebars.

Well said that man.

:shock: OMG its my size too.Shame its gone over my limit by about $5000 :LOL:

Serious piece of history,Like owning one of Hendrix's guitars.

development_cycle":1x2qaik8 said:
This is Joe's own...
What makes you say that? It's not.

As for its size, the original listing (refreshingly) gives very precise and useful information on that: 33.8" stand over and 30.75" saddle height (presumably measured from the BB along the seat tube axis). I think most would agree that this WAS designed for a "taller gent" to ride.

halaburt":2zxdbbkb said:
development_cycle":2zxdbbkb said:
This is Joe's own...
What makes you say that? It's not.

As for its size, the original listing (refreshingly) gives very precise and useful information on that: 33.8" stand over and 30.75" saddle height (presumably measured from the BB along the seat tube axis). I think most would agree that this WAS designed for a "taller gent" to ride.

Oh, sorry, I thought someone from Breezer told me about it and sent me the link that's all. I re-read his email and he says "did you see Breezer #3 from Joe’s Type II Series just went on eBay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/190625492678 Pretty cool!", so you can see why I thought he said it was Joe's.

Not intentionally trying to provide false info just didn't read the email thoroughly.

The only reason I say that it isn't for the taller gent is that the ad says it

"I'm 5'11" and the bike fits me well. It's probably not ideal for someone much over 6'2" -- the seatpost has only 1" more length to the max "

Just passing on information that I have read and thought to be correct.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Remember that all bikes were that big at the time*. They were limited by the short road bike seatposts. I'm no S2 expert but all the series one Breezers were the same size with 21" seat tubes and little Wende Cragg managed to ride them OK.
We have got so used to lots of standover height and long seatposts now that anything like this bike looks odd. And frankly, I don't think the future owner of this machine will be looking to use it on technical trails where extra ball clearance would be a boon.

*Thank goodness for Charlie Cunningham whogave us long posts and standover height a few years after this bike.

Not much to add to this other than cool!

Reckon this'll go big and quite rightly, up at US$6500 as of now. Where will it end and who will get it, someone here?

stanlee":1umxmdd9 said:
Dr S":1umxmdd9 said:
*Thank goodness for Charlie Cunningham whogave us long posts and standover height a few years after this bike.

You mean prior?

Well niether really. This Breezer was built in 1980. Charlie started in around 79 but as we have seen last month his first few bikes were also gates. Yes he was experimenting with longer posts and shorter framesets around the same time. My feelings are that the world woke up to his more radical designs a year or so on from 1980 when he teamed up with Potts and Slate and formed WTB. Until then I guess the Cunningham style was not widely known outside the locale. It certainly took a few years for other designers/builders/producers to follow suit so rightly or wrongly I always consider it to be a later evolution. Looking at bikes produced around 82/83 by Ritchey, Specialized and Univega, they all still employ short Campag or SR Laprade seatposts. Also looking at the early Mountain groupsets from Shimano and Suntour in 83/84 there are no long seatposts available. In short it took a few years for them to catch on and frame sizes to be reduced. So designed maybe, but commonplace no.

This isn't gospel though and I could be a few years out, but that's the way I see it based on what I have learnt over the years.

Back