unkleGsif's 1990 Cindercone Karma

unkleGsif

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Right, a massive thankyou must go out to Cass for this, who offered up this frame and forks for free, and was lucky enough to be close to some family to arrange a collection.

As is, it wont actually be in my hands until a visit from the folk's next weekend, but my bro is collecting for me on Sunday.

This is what I am getting
P1000489.jpg

P1000490.jpg

Plans are to give it a good clean and polish and assess the damage, then build it with what spares I have and run it as a high(ish) geared single speed (there is some damage to the mech hanger apparently), with slicks... no NOS suntour on this old girl

I know this wont appeak to many of the purists out there, but considering that not so long ago it was discarded by the roadside, the fact that its going to be loved at all is the important thing

In time, It may be custom painted in blue and white to match my '63 Beetle, but that is a long way off (gotta finish the car first :oops: )

There will be no progress on this until its actually in my hands, just thought I would share with all, and send my massive thanks to Cass

Watch this space.....
Finished
Will tweak a few things, such as saddle, gearing and probably levers, and also have to fit some NOS Chill Pills when the cables finally arrive

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Sort of Finished - spec sheet ;)

Frame: 1990 TBG Kona Cindercone 18"

Fork: 1990 Kona P2

Headset: Sealed Tech (stock)
Stem: Tioga T-Bone/Kona Velocity
Handlebar: Kona Cr (Stock)
Grips: Onza Porcipaws

Brakes: Suntour XC (SE rear)
Brake Pads: Billy no names for now
Brake Cables: Jagwire
Brake Levers: Suntour Pro/Shimano STX RC

Cassette: SS 16t
Chain: Various
Cranks: Shimano MT60 (painted satin black)
Chainrings: Shimano 38t blagged from my LBS for gratis
Bottom Bracket:
Pedals: Shimano XT M737 (I think)

Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Mavic 231 Ceramic rear/Ukai UM12 front
Hubs: STX RC
Tyres: Continental City Slicker 1.5

Saddle: X-Lite (for now)

G

:cool:

and been on a 50miler in 'the Lakes
just noticed the snapped canti boss on the fork... nevermind, will probably be able to clean it out, tap in, and screw in a new one

G

Sounds like you got it all worked out, look forward to seeing the finished build :cool: :cool:

Was introduced to the bike to tonight, and all I can say is OH MY GOD!

Suntour levers, shifters, front mech and XCD cranks, and a set of those funky energising rear canti's! All look pretty sweet! Front hub seems ok too, just a repack with fresh grease

I'm gonna love this bike

Thanks SO MUCH Cass

G

Bpool77":18dmt1ue said:
Great karma, great bike, get it built :D
Just need to sort a back wheel, front brake, grips and a saddle out really. I will polish up my old Deore cranks and fit those, but need to sort a ring for the singlespeed... refurb the rear brakes

So chuffed with it... any leftover bits will be offered up here, but I have absolutely no idea how much XCD stuff is worth, and what I'm keeping, so no dibs yet ;)

Cass... suitable donation will be made to The Christie cancer research hospital

G

Free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????!!!!!! :shock:

Fantastic, look forward to seeing this one finished and being ridden!

Ok, had a chance to have a real look over the bike, and there is an issue with the stem... basically, and most likely due to its time being left at the roadside, the stem is twisted so the bars are tilted down to the left of horizontal... I am off on Friday, so will take it to my mate at the LBS and see what they think, but I'm sure it can be straightened. The frame shows no such damage tho, which is lucky!

I've also checked the front wheel (original XCD hub and a Ukai UMT 17 rim), both of which are in good order, and will just build a make do rear with an old STX hub and a Mavic 231 that I've probably sourced.

Rear brake is good, so that just leaves a 26.4mm seat post and a decent seat to find (not too bothered about originality here) so if I find a decent flite ti for my Kilauea, Cinders can have the x-lite I'm using at the moment.

G

Back