Raleigh Wisp Mixte (updated)

GrumpyOldMan":h6c3yzbk said:
Spokesmann":h6c3yzbk said:
If I can say Im not sure about the tyres, amber walled would have been better - but thats just me!
I would guess that the tyres are probably 27 x 1 1/8 and if so the conti's are about all that is available. I really wish that Michelin would do a batch of world tours in that size as the Conti's really don't look right on 80's bikes. I'm having the same problem with my Raleigh Royal. My 27 x 1 1/8 Michelins have finally ended their life and the 1 1/4 I have put in are really too large, I can't actually inflate them as hard as I would like because they rub on the frame. At that time Raleigh did a lot of their bikes with close tolerances for 27 x 1 1/8, I guess all the other makers did too. My Royal originally had Michelin Club Tourist tyres on but since then I have used nothing but World Tours. Sadly, I have just ordered a pair of Contis for it. My wifes Carlton Courette is even tighter tolerance and the 1 1/4 world tours are unuseable unless I take the mudguards off.

If anyone from Michelin reads this PLEASE do a run of 27 X 1 1/8. There must be 1000's of 80's bikes in desperate need of them!

Think the Wisp looks great by the way but if it was mine I would put the mudguards back on.

Whats wrong with just using some 27" x 1-1/4? :?

Spokesmann":6zeqjjk8 said:
Whats wrong with just using some 27" x 1-1/4? :?
LOL, did you actually read my post?
If you re-read my post you will see what's wrong with 27 x 1-1/4. (For me anyway). I'm very reluctant to go the 700c route as my wheels are only 27 years old and have years left in them yet!

Mrs Wisp

Hi there im new and this thread is a bit old but maybe someone will help...
Just picked myself up a wisp on ebay - identical to this one pre refurb.
Trying to figure out how to sort it out for my wife to ride - key issue being the drive train. She wont like friction shifters so any ideas on how to move to indexed shifting ? I love the look of those velo orange thumb shifters. Essentially I need the end result to be hassle free for commuting, I have even considered a 3 speed hub wheel but they seem scarce for 126mm dropouts (which i believe the wisp frame will 'flex' to!!? - I haven't got the bike yet but my head is spinning with possibilities.
In the beautiful example above did the orig. wheels need redishing after the addition of a 6 sp freewheel?. or I replace both wheels with 700c (assuming the brakes will stretch the extra 4mm) 126mm 6 speed hub (can you get a 7 speed in a 126 ?) but then i need a compatible (and stylish) thumb shifter for a 6 speed and a rear mech... oh lord the list goes on sorry hope someone can help... ta

hi - i'll try and answer your questions.

I've put 7sp indexed levers on the downtube using a Shimano band on pair of levers. I really liked the Velo Orange thumbies but I also needed to keep the costs down. Cost won out on this occasion. Depends on what look you're after - Shimano STI's and a mtb short cage rear mech would work together nicely on a flat bar.

The Wisp frame is a 126mm dropout anyway - or at least that's what it measures. I didn't redish the wheel - the 6 speed blocks fits perfectly, and shifts nicely between the cogs.

I looked at the mixte gallery on Flickr a fair bit when getting inspiration.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/mixte/pool/

loads of nice bikes on there

Another Raleigh Wisp

Hey there all... also new to this thread and also in need of some Raliegh Wisp specific advice.

I want to replace the gear system on mine, turning it from a 5 speed to 10 or 12 and replacing everything with new.

What I am wondering is if I will be able to get parts that will be compatible with the wheel, exactly what I need to look for, or if I am going to need to replace the wheel also?

Currently the wheel on the bike is same as one in the original pictures in this thread.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks, Alice

Hi Alice,

If you keep the existing wheels, then you can get a 5 or 6 gear freewheel to fit right on to the wheel. I used a 6 speed Shimano HG freewheel. You'd then need a new chainset, shifters, front mech and cables to make it all work.

If you go 6 speed, you'll need to replace the original rear mech too.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian, much appreciated,

Need to replace the rear mech anyway so that will be fine... off to look for parts now!

Thanks again

Back