Boardman CX Team vs. Genesis Croix de Fer

Scarfacexxx08":2j9lydmz said:
Yeah like buy a bike from a proper bike shop :LOL:

Ooo harsh but true. Halfords bikehut isnt considered a bike shop in the bike trade i believe. Car shop.

Done 1500 miles on my Boardman HT Pro and the BB30 lasted around 100 miles before dieing.

I built my bike up myself and it seamed to be just as the story was breaking about the bikes needing the bb30 reseated and greased up.

I have had to replace the BB30 yet again around 200 miles ago as water had worked its way inside, so this time i removed the rubber seals from the new bearings, and absolutely packed them out with car CV grease, replaced the rubber seals, then covered both sides of the bearing casing/seals with grease, then refitted them.

I checked them last weekend and they are both still spot on.

Have you considered one of the Planet X cross bikes? They are a lot nicer than the Genesis or Boardman in the flesh and are often specced better for the money....

@ willhouse - no i hadn't to be honest, but having had a look at the specs, my heart really is set on a boardman.

@ S-M - just out of interest, how long did the BB last between being greased the first time (after 100miles) and second time (200 miles ago)?

@ cyfa & scarface - I know, it does open up other avenues and a lot more scope, but like i said up there, i've got my heart set on one :(

I've emailed the scheme i'm on to see if there's a proper way around it. If not...

I've spoken to someone i know who's managed to get round this, albeit in the other direction, so if that fails, i'll be talking to my LBS about pulling a fast one..

fingers x'd

I've got a Day One SS flat bar, and use it for playful commuting, 'family' days out, and dabbled some light off road and it's great! I really like it, stiff strong but forgiving. I'm building a 26er IO up next. I'd quite like a CdF, its a better/lighter tubeset so should be a great bike, I'd defo buy one.

Croix De Fer is a lovely looking bike, bb7 discs too, surely a lot nicer than a boardman - is the spec that much better? only £70 quid more if you shop about.

Edit: I suppose weight could be an issue - kilo and a half difference but that is shimano for you.

BobCatMax":37qgayu0 said:
@ S-M - just out of interest, how long did the BB last between being greased the first time (after 100miles) and second time (200 miles ago)?

Done 100 miles = knackered, replaced with new bearings.
Done another 1200 miles = knackered, replaced with new bearings that were stripped and packed with grease before fitting.
Done another 200 miles and stripped down to check everything = seams fine.

I use my bike a LOT in muddy puddles and such, i also have a 2/3 times per week training route around the coast so it tends to get a bit of sand on it from time to time, i also used to wash it quite a bit which probably does not help (only a hose, never a pressure washer)

I have also had the bearings fail in the freehub (repaired under warranty) and the pedals (swapped them anyway for nicer ones)

One lad with the same bike on Bikeradar strips his cranks down after every ride and reapply the grease covering the cartridge bearing, seams a little over the top to me, i could not be bothered to take the crank off 2/3 times per week!

A lot of the cartridge bearings i have seen, once the rubber shield is removed, have very little actual grease inside, even when they are brand new.

Wished I'd not looked at this thread now, ha ha.

Been looking myself at a Genesis Day One Alfine 11.
Reynolds 853, Avid's, Continental Tyres and other decent kit for about 1500 quid....

Cheers for that S-M, interesting stuff.

apologies willhouse :LOL:

I'd not looked at the new 2012 spec, The Ken. it does indeed look impressive. I wonder what the weight difference is.

as it happens, it looks like the Boardman might be a write off for two reasons...

1. - I'm not about to put my lbs into a position where they might get into trouble reselling a bike they have no rights to.
2. - Meeting with Bank manager on Saturday as I'm an idiot.

Back