199? Raleigh Lizard

i have one too...great little bikes. anyone know when they were sold?

here is mine..
d9788f40.jpg

adscan":2gcjkymr said:
anyone know when they were sold?

A lot of peoples introduction to mountain biking was the Raliegh Lizard :LOL:

I know they were sold between 1990 and 1992 for sure and may have gone on after 1992 also

I'd say 1991 definatley, because that co-incided with me going to "Big school" but I vagualy remember seeing them about a bit before- Gulf War time- but maybe my memory is wrong??

This made me laugh out loud! Fantastic seeing one of those again. I used to work Saturdays in Halfords in Exeter in '89 and '90 and we used to sell these. I had a Rockhopper (thank God for overtime) and loved it but I remember a hippie student girl looking at a Raleigh Lizard and asking me if it was up to a round-Europe trip. I suggested she replace the steel rims and that was all. I quoted Nick Crane to her: "cycling is a good way to travel as it keeps you humble." She was well impressed with a bike mechanic who was also a philosopher. Especially one with grey overalls and a mullet.

paulwakinshaw":gac3xd5e said:
Wow real flashback this is...!

I had one for years, it was bomb proof, really. I managed to fall off mine dozens of times and not one thing went wrong with it.

Only consumables were tyres and cables.

My party piece on this bike was to build a ramp and jump over 4 people (kids, as I was only 11) Li-Chi brakes were s**t though.

Quality

I've dropped the home-made-looking-pull-all-the-way-back-to-the-bar Lee-Chi's
PICT3329.jpg

In favour of some old Suntour Power XC jobbies, which have integrated thumbies with a lovely action [Like a knife through hot butter]

CathedralQuarryNewYear2011-2012.jpg

Which means I can ditch the Shimano Tourney thumbies which look like black slugs

PICT3324.jpg

Actually that's not that bad, it's the ones with the orange writing on that were really rancid.

For New Year in't Lake District we took the bikes through a mountain rather than over it, hence lunch in Cathedral Cavern. No rust fears with a Lizard- Raleigh paint and lacquer is so thick that when I postcoded the BB it took about ten whacks to get the letters into the metal rather than just into the really thick paint, almost like powdercoating.

CathedralQuarryNewYear2011-2012-1.jpg

My first bike was a Raleigh Lizard I bought new in 1990 :)

I think it's still at my mum's actually, in one of the garages, but my uncle borrowed it and used it for years after I had moved on to motorbikes, so I have no idea what condition it's in.

I have a feeling there was a reason he stopped using it. It was 100% original when I lent it to him though, I'll have to dig it out next time I visit my mum.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yep... me too, my first MTB.

I quickly upgraded to the Dyna Tech in 1992 and probably only owned mine for a year, but it's where my Mountain Biking addiction started. My older brother had the 15 speed Mustang, whilst I had the 18 speed Lizard... of course I was so much better than him!! haha.

ps... I had a Mt Zefal Pump and Corner bag for mine - both bright yellow!! Oh how times have changed.

Back