1988 (ish) Paul Donohue - fillet brazed

So what colour would you do it then? Make my day..

• Petrol Bluey colour (sort of like the Drum tobacco pouch?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orange

• Light blue

• Silver

• Deep indigo/purple

• Dark Green

• Red

• Lighter 'leaf' like green

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: paul

matthew71":g3ro2ly5 said:
very nice , i hope you spend plenty on it, and have to sell some of your old stuff ,hint,hint :D

Duly noted :LOL:

It certainly will be a more pricey project mainly because of the repaint. Watch this space, and don't worry - I've got you in mind..

mynchiboy":f4ug1gg0 said:
legrandefromage":f4ug1gg0 said:
so it was you I was bidding against...

Aha! I thought it may have been you LGF....

To be honest I thought that I would be blown out of the water by a snipe, always seems the way these days. Nearly fell off the chair when I won it..

Grannygrinder":f4ug1gg0 said:
Luverleee :cool:

Would the orange showing through the chip in the yellow on the stem be the original colour?

I likes orange me :LOL:

That's what is intriguing me now! I've done a bit of scraping on the frame and fork where the paint has been trashed but these were stripped down properly before the repaint. Orange could be an option though ;)

the decal proof for you if you havent seen this already..maybe worth getting for under a fiver, and if you dont use it, you have something to work from.

hope it is of some help to you

http://www.hlloydcycles.com/pdflistlatest.pdf

.....some decal shots for you, inc headbadge, and some period correct colours.

Attachments

• 3430569869_d1ffa388dd.jpg
    3430569869_d1ffa388dd.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,825
  • 3430570095_6b447e3449.jpg
    3430570095_6b447e3449.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,825
  • 3430570843_f610e0c7b1.jpg
    3430570843_f610e0c7b1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,825
  • 3430569937_784f59f16a.jpg
    3430569937_784f59f16a.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,825
...pic of Paul in a road race, with Dave Yates.

Attachments

• Paul Donahue second from left..jpg
    Paul Donahue second from left..jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,817
Brilliant work mynchiboy ,

I fell in love with bike when I saw it on ebay but was far to big for my short arse !

Cant wait to see more of this puppy :cool:

Oh...... and by the way welcome to the double u brake club ;)

I nearly had a go at this on ebay, just for the stem, but to be fair, i couldnt bring myself to do it, i knew if i did win, i could never split the frame fork and Stem.

This is another example of an English frame builder building mountain bikes, in the early days. From memory didnt paul build for others, including the likes of Orbit for example.

Also im sure Paul Donohue was one of the frame builders accredited with the responsibility of building some of the Orange Prototypes, ie the " fabled Formula".........(see pics below.)

Fwiw, i think you have a very cool bike there, and certainly deserves being saved, refinish it, rebuild it, and love it.....good score my friend, glad its in good hands.

heres a link to the Botm, when Lgfs Overburys won, i think there is a member who entered with a PD. maybe he would have some addtional info too.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... c&start=45

Attachments

• orange_formula_article_mtber_1990b_2951.jpg
    orange_formula_article_mtber_1990b_2951.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,517
  • orange_formula_255_777.jpg
    orange_formula_255_777.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,517
  • orange_formula_article_mtber_1990b_295.jpg
    orange_formula_article_mtber_1990b_295.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,517
Gravy Monster":2bmv6w44 said:
Brilliant work mynchiboy ,

I fell in love with bike when I saw it on ebay but was far to big for my short arse !

Cant wait to see more of this puppy :cool:

Oh...... and by the way welcome to the double u brake club ;)

The Brakes and the fillet brazing, just look amazing, just classy... :cool:

Imho, if i could be so bold, given the fact its Brilliant, and has double U brakes, and sum stunning fillets that really need showing off, and the fact its such a good find from an English builder, why not go red/white/blue, a similar fade to that shown below, but not quite the same fade depths as a ritchey..(if that makes any sense... :? )
Especially given the Orange Formula Project/involvement.

Rule Britannia..., (as we used to say....lmao... )

:cool:

Attachments

• 3212835156_59451f793c.jpg
    3212835156_59451f793c.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,508
Imho, there are some lovely neat touches on this frame, i really like the internal cable route along the rear wishbone seatstay, and fellas dont you think the stem is very reminiscent of the stem pictured on the formula....???

Attachments

• d2_120.jpg
    d2_120.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 1,484
Thanks for the comments guys :D

The front U-brake is certainly very cool GM, I'm honoured to be part of the double-U club! Interestingly the rear chainstay clearance is pretty tight, as with similarly built frames of this era. The 2.1 tyre fitted now is rubbing on the frame when fully inflated..

You're dead right about the detailing as well Sinnerman - I should have mentioned the internal cable routing along the seatstay but the more you look at the frame, the more you notice. Thanks as well for the extra info and heads up for the decals, I used H Lloyd a bit a few years back before joining and thought they would maybe be able to help..and of course we have some internal sources on here.

I actually was interested myself in the orange formula similarities. If you look at the one owned by Bedazzled13 the front triangle is more or less the same frame as this bike visually - it has the twin bottle mounts on the downtube for example and same brazed on guide for the front mech. The stem is also very similar - hence my hint about the orange paint ;)

Here are a couple of pics of the formula - I hope the OP doesn't mind, but he hasn't been about for a while so it seems like it's a nice reminder..

Attachments

• formula 1.jpg
    formula 1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,448
  • formula 2.jpg
    formula 2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,448
Back