Orbit Thomson Road Bike ????

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Out of my depth here in that I'm normally a mountain bike devotee.

I have aquired for getting fit on the road a racer made by Orbit constructed of Reynolds 532c, equpped with full Campagnola such as Nuovo Record (I think) front and rear deralliers etc. The bike is in pretty good nick and has been sent off for a service and new tubular tyres !!!

What confuses me is the decals that state Thomson on both the seat and down tubes. Why the Thomson name if Orbit made the frame ?

Best bit is I got it from a community bike recycling charity for £40.

Any help greatly appreciated, but fear not roadies I'll never be a contender on the blacktop !

Thomson was a frame builder in the Huddersfield area in the 80's, built some nice stuff. As usual it didn't last and I think he must have gone to work for Orbit and perhaps they traded on his good name for their better bikes?

Sounds like an absolute bargain for £40 fully Campag. Trade the tubulars for clinchers. Much easier if your not an out-and-out racer.

Thanks old ned,

Unfortunately a mechanic has told me the frame is broken and its not economical to fix.

Frame will be stripped of all components that may end up eventually on ebay, I should recoup my losses !

Was a very nice bike though...........caveat emptor as they say.

Cheers

what skip you pull that out of? powder coat it and it should come out nice though.

Back