It was Rich34's '76 Galaxy - now The Dawes Galaxy thread!

5831628089_d139dedf00.jpg
[/url]
IMG_4278 by stllsman, on Flickr

Nice to see some love for the Galaxy! Here is mine - post restoration[/img]

Is that a TA crankset Nelly? That's the one I'm after for mine. Looks the part. I wish mine had cantilevers as well but there you are... :roll:

Piperdave":3khohf1e said:
Some nice bikes and pics, but I have to say that the a head stems just look wrong on old steel bike IMHO, sorry. :?

No apology needed!I didn't like the one on my Galaxy either, although I failed dismally to pick up a quill stem for it. I think the world's still waiting for an attractive ahead style stem to be designed...

For those of you looking for quill stems velosolo.co.uk have a selection of new old stems just leave 1 or 2 for me or I'll cry.

Yes it is a TA. Believe it or not I had to hacksaw off the previous crankset and so I had to upgrade - the TA is courtesy of ebay. Worth every penny.

Here are a couple more shots of mine - nice angle here, but poor quality pic:

rrview.jpg

(I know I need to take a link out of the chain...)

This is what the rear Weinmanns look like now they've been stripped and cleaned:

cleaned-upWeinmanns.jpg

And the same goes for the rear derailleur:

Cleanedupderailleur.jpg

The rims are tatty but the part I test-cleaned came up very nicely so I look forward to getting to grips with that. The whole bike should come up nicely. Just need the time to get round to it... :roll:

Hello, new to the forums but just thought I would post a photo or two of my bike. I was hoping you could identify it. See my next post.

I think it is a Dawes of some type, possibly a Galaxy? I got it for £30 and all the decals and badges were removed.

I took it all apart and cleaned and degreased it. Then I put it back together with new wheels, freewheel, brake pads, seat, bar end shifters, and chain. The frame is a bit rusty in places but not too bad. Maybe I will respray it one day. She rides really well, the shifting is really smooth, I am liking the Suntour Cyclone rear derailluer.

I have the old wheels but they were in bad condition. I have taken the large flanged hubs out and started to polish them up. I think they will look really nice when I get some cash to build up some new wheels with them.

6694390137_f83ef57942_z.jpg

6694393681_9284dfe82c_z.jpg

6694391345_1032971cee_z.jpg

6694392419_eeaa20ccbc_z.jpg

6694395281_480de1b16c_z.jpg

Larusso - here's a Galaxy I saw somewhere on the Internet (I thought the lugs on yours looked familiar), same model as yours:

dawesgalaxy001.jpg

Your bike is missing the badge from the headtube:

dawesgalaxy004.jpg

£30 wasn't a bad deal! You could try Gil (a member on here - he provided decals for my Overbury's and he's good to deal with) for decals. As for the badge, if you're patient on eBay you might end up finding one.

Back