lacquer over decals

slmracing

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I thought I would ask peoples opinion on this one, I have a diamond back accent frame that's been powder coated, the finish is excellent, but because I work in a body shop I was going to fit the decals and then lacquer the frame, obviously this stops the decals peeling off but makes it difficult to replace them due to damage plus my decal man has made 2 sets for some reason so I could easily change them if I don't re coat the frame. come on Guys what do you think :D :D

Attachments

• DSCF1473 [800x600].jpg
    DSCF1473 [800x600].jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,040
The biggest advantage to lacquering over decals, as I see it, is you can use a jet wash to clean your bike without taking the decals off with the grunge!

Aesthetically I don't really think there is much to be gained??

If you lacquer them over and they still get damaged for some reason, it'll probably be serious enough to have the frame powder coated again anyway.

They'll be marginally better protected under a layer of laquer (or 5) but if they do get damaged you'll have to strip back..

I think i would put a couple of coats of laquer on, then decals, then another few coats of laquer over the top, that way theyre 'rub backable' without hitting the colour

Meeeh. Makes sense in my head anyways...

Well tonight i have prepared the frame and applied the decals, It's getting painted in the morning pics to follow :D

The frame is lacquered and looking good this is the build so far

Attachments

• DSCF1480 [800x600].jpg
    DSCF1480 [800x600].jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 824
  • DSCF1475 [800x600].jpg
    DSCF1475 [800x600].jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 824
Photos don't do it justice mate but I'm betting it looks amazing in the flesh. :cool:

Is that the one you had at the Peaks ride, the one you'd just bought?

It is the one from the peaks, the pictures are a bit poor, but in the flesh it looks great, I know its not the most sought after bike but once finished it will serve me well plus my oldest daughter has been getting involved in the build so she can get some use out of it as well

by the way weeman mtb I will pm you some pics of the karma boardman frame you gave me cheers

Another option I've used is to use the decals as a template and cut some helicopter tape about 1mm bigger all around and then apply that over the decal.
Tougher than lacquer and still easy to replace if getting tired.

Back