Riding 1x8, front mech useful?

I´ll try my utmost ;)

This will be intermittent.
The goal is making it SS. Problem is I´m not in that kinda shape yet!
But I thought this will be a cool way finding out what gear selection that fits me and my trails. And when I saw bryanus bonty I thought I got to try that!

/J

Does it really make such a difference (1x10 vs 1x9)? I mean, going from 34 rear to 36 is not even 6%. And then using the even thinner chain...

Phil has a nice chain keeper as well. Available both in seat tube clamp as well as BB clamp. Yes, the chain line shifts a few mm when using the same BB, but I can''t think that that will make such a difference considering the always moving chain line as a result of the shifting.

9 and 10 speed chain have thinner side plates, so more stress on the bearing surfaces and more stretch.

I have riden a long time 1x9 without a chain keeper. It works pretty well, but when your ring starts to wear it will fall off more and more.

SS does not need a chain device of course, even when you use a tensioner, as long as you use a fixed one (not spring loaded), like the on-one.

J i m s t e r":34pyx1eg said:
Sure you need a chain keeper? I've run a 1 x 9 bike for the last two years with nothing but the chain's own tension to keep it there. No problems.

I am running a 1X8
but with a bash in place of the big ring
find the bash more elegant than the chain guide or mech solution :idea:

But the bash only works for one side?

Dead rats has used the sandwich bash before which may be useful.

Back