GROOVY in progress! More Pics.......and a video!

rody":3ref64vh said:
The last update y'all get before she's finished...

Here's a pic of the last step before paint, some time in the media blast cabinet.

I'm not going to elaborate on the final paint, but Roy gave me the colors white, olive green, yellow, and orange to work with.

I've got a good idea of what I want...I really hope he likes it (fingers crossed). Honestly, that is often the greatest cause of concern for me when someone give's me free reign. Hopefully my style is what drew them to me and we'll see eye to eye in the end :D

cheers,

rody

Hi Rody, no worries about the paint on my side ;) , that's the cool thing..... gave you free reign cause I've been riding black and grey frames all my live and think this one should be a real GROOVY .A bike you also can be proud of. Limited the colors to main Olive green and Off white with orange and yellow "highlights" only to keep you from going too wild (...like the HARDCORE you own) :D . To anyone thinking about getting a frame build DO IT! Rody is an A+ communicator with a flexible mind and lots off know how. We exchanced about 15 to 20 mails before the final build (and I thought I knew exactly what I wanted from the start :roll: ) He's got a very good eye for detail and has loads of patience!! I know the waiting is hard but it's such fun to follow the proces on the Blog and see a bike arise from a pile off steel tubes, some machinery and a real artist :!:
I would certainly go this way again even though I still don't have this one yet :D

ps I've written all this without Rody pointing a gun at my head ;)

I can see the appeal yo-eddy.

Very jealous this will be yours. I have always fancied a steel IF or DeKerf in my long term plan, but seeing this I think has changed me.

Working with someone like Rody on a project sounds like great fun, and coming up with all the details on geometry, guides and such like is really appealling to me. I think a bike to keep rather than to just have.

Best start saving.... whats your current leadtime Rody :) ;)

Everytime i read this thread and Rody's blog I'm more envious. Seeing the work that goes into a fully custom frame (those brake mounts :shock: ) is incredible.

Sure Rody'll do it justice with a sweet paint job to die for too ;)

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

A few answers...

for custom dropouts and mounts, such as the Firm Techs, I use tool grade steel. It has the highest purity and strength, machines well, and makes me happy that a quality component has been utilized.

Current lead time is 4 months, but I anticipate that getting a bit longer after the Handbuilt bicycle show.

This has been a super fun (sometimes frustrating) project, can't wait to hear the first ride report :D

cheers,

rody

i really like those dropouts and that handel bar is the nuts. The dropouts are some what similar to the Seven Cycles ones

sldrp.jpg

however it sounds like your using nicer materials. Love it, can't wait to see the build and paint!

The Seven and Paragon are similer in modular design, however, these do not slide as the others do. Look close at the Seven pic...see how the dropout can travel forwards and back.

These simply allow the exchange of different types of dropouts (geared, single speed, Rohloff) while maintaining the wheel position for the rim brakes.

Chain tension is then accomplished with the Eccentric bottom bracket.

cheers,

rody

thanks and i love the simplicity. I 'll stop by and say hi at the Handmade bike show. I just got really cheap airfair. I'll make any excuss to go to Portland love that City.

She's been colored...

Here's a peek mid process,

rody

Attachments

• Roy's with decals.jpg
    Roy's with decals.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,242
Yeah!!!!!
I'm a happy man, stunning paintjob I LOVE IT!!
Many thanks Rody you're a star :!:

Back