Riding 1x8, front mech useful?

better safe than sorry I say, get a 'dummy' mech on there and lock it into place, if the L screw fails to push it out far enough you can replace it with a 1-2mm longer bolt - oil the thread as you usually have to really screw it down a lot!

save about 2g by removing the cable clamp bolt / nut / washer! :p

you could use an unramped ring, an outer bash / chainguard too? skinflints like me (and cyfa) make their own bash /chainguards by grinding and filing off the teeth of an old 42 outer ;)

also don't forget to run the chain as short as poss, and get the chainring right in the middle (in your case just between 4 and 5) on the rear cogs. If you have a choice of running chainline better for low gears or outer gears think which you use most

1x8/9/10 is not kind to your chain!

cyfa2809":2z6wpz75 said:
Erm would have just been normal bb's something like un54 etc.
and blackspire ds1 and a truvativ one which i dont know the name of and another truvativ double roller style one and another couple which i cant remember. Secured just by tightening the bb with the device sandwiched in between frame and bb.

while that does affect your chainline, it can be corrected with a big box of washers as I'm sure Josh can testify!

cyfa2809":g3e49haq said:
Mmmm damn right. The world of bikes eh, so many possibilities!

Straight up baby!

As I said in another similar thread recently, I'm starting to think that 1x7 is actually the best set up for a multi-geared single ring set-up, 8/9/10 is just too much for poor old chainy :shock:

1 * 10 wuld be ideal for me .

currently running 1 * 9 , with a 34 at the front . would be too hard for bigger climbs . with a 36 at the back , would be a lot easier

1x 8/9/10 is tough on chain? Surely the same as 7? Or is the load ditribution a factor as a 7 chain is wider? And less to shift.

Ahhhh 1x 10 i see as a gimmick. In the end we will all have 1x electric!

cyfa2809":fkpu8z11 said:
1x 8/9/10 is tough on chain? Surely the same as 7? Or is the load ditribution a factor as a 7 chain is wider? And less to shift.

Ahhhh 1x 10 i see as a gimmick. In the end we will all have 1x electric!

8/9/10 cassettes are wider laterally than 7 sp

Thanx a lot for all replies :D

I heard that the chain falls off a lot if you don´t have a chain device.
I thought using my old front mech and see if it works.

I really wanted to not use one, ´cause the clean looks would be great :)

Lots of nice tips, thanx!

/J

I don't think your chain CAN fall off with a front mech if it's nice and short and the mech is as low as possible :D

Back