My Cougar road bike circa 1997

Cougar frames

Hi

Cougar were a high end UK road bike builder who were popular in the 80s as I saw a number of them around at the time.
Most were built with Reynolds tubing as I recall.

regards

Richard

Thanks chaps, good tip about the powder, I have copious supplies of baby powder from my running days, used it inside my socks to avoid blisters, so I will use that. Only reason I mentioned 10 Bar is because that's what it states on the tyre. "Inflate to 8-10 Bar / 110-140 PSI" - Seemed high to me too but that's what is says :?

ETA p.s. yes I see what you mean but that picture is of the 15 year old Vittorias just to show how I manager to match up the new tyres ;)

Rich5ltr":2v07uegx said:
p.s. What do people think of swapping the saddle for something a little more retro looking? Perhaps a San Marco Regal titanium in white?

Sounds good to me but then the white obsessive in me would then also suggest ditching that splash bar tape for some much nicer white cork ribbon too :LOL:

dont use a tyre lever to put a tyre on.... it will end in pinching the tube. inflate the tube slightly just enough to make it round, put one half of the tyre on then put the tube in where the valve goes through the rim. sit the tube inside the tyre and push the tyre flat against the rim so you cant see inside the trye anymore. starting from the valve position put the bead over the tyre over the rim and work the bead in both directions away from the valve about 1/4 of the way around the rim on each side of the tyre. then push the valve into the tyre to make sure the tyre bead hasnt sat on top of the tube. continue working the bead until it gets so hard you want to throw the wheel out of the window or get a massive tyre lever and just lever it on and forget about it. when you reach that point heres what you do.
1. deflate the inner tube.
2. pinch the beads of the tyre together from the valve end with both hands so the tyre is sitting in the middle of the rim and PULL down with both hands. imaging gripping a car steering wheel at the good old 10 to 2 position and trying to pull the sponge? down on both sides to the 6 oclock position. this will stretch the bead ever so slightly (it wont seem like it has but it will)
3 flip the wheel around so your looking at the part of the tyre which still needs to be fitted and using your thumbs only start at the point where the tyre bead is coming off the rim and push up to get the bead over the rim. it sometimes helps to wear an old pair of grippy gloves to save your thumbs from getting sore.
4. you may need to go from step 2 a couple of times but trust me. in 12 years of fitting the blooming things i have never used a tool, grease, wd40, fairy liquid or ky jelly to fit a tyre. its all about stretching that bead. ;)

Why does no one like splash tape? Your not the first to have said it. Is it a bit of a faux pas among the retro-cycling fraternity? :?:

Rich5ltr":131q6fnu said:
Why does no one like splash tape? Your not the first to have said it. Is it a bit of a faux pas among the retro-cycling fraternity? :?:

I don't really like splash tape BUT I think this one matches the colours of the paint pretty wel...

i just think it looks nasty (the tape not the bike). its my opinion but hey ive got a specialized so what do i know :D

Okay, you've nearly conviced me ;) If/when I get a white titanium Selle San Marco Regal I'll swap the tape at the same time. I've also sourced some nice ali' bottles which I can printed with the Cougar logo which should look good. I'll report back when it's done!

willhouse":2ioo4n5t said:
With regard to the shifting <clip> it could also be a similar issue at the handlebar shifter end and need some lubrication there.
Thanks, I flooded the brake/shifter with WD40 and next morning it worked fine. :LOL:

Back