It was Rich34's '76 Galaxy - now The Dawes Galaxy thread!

That's a nice project - i'll be interested to see how the 700c / caliper conversion goes. That Alves is lovely too. Is there a thread for it?

Why are you going for flat bars? I only ask because when I was touring on a mountain bike years ago the only thing I thought would have improved the bike were drop handlebars, to be able to tuck down into the headwinds but also just to give a bit of variety on the road.

Alves were made in Moray, Scotland. The caliper conversion is something pretty standard for me now on all the bike I restored whether it was...

4297811881_1cfd778b9d_z.jpg

My Bob Jackson...

6165755099_926f9c0bd9_z.jpg

or my old Cannondale.

The flat bar option is currently my girlfriend's choice though her fascination with bar end shifters seems likely to make a change to traditional drops imminent ( :LOL:! ).

Mine was dead like yours Agency Scum - it came to me as a muddy frame - no wheels! - and a couple of carrier bags full of greasy components. Someone had done a flat bar (well, North Road-ish) conversion on it and it just felt wrong, so I stuck a pair of drops on it. No match for the original, swirly engraved Dawes bars though...

The bike's moved to Sheffield now, where its bail out chainring will no doubt be put to good use.

It's a lovely bike - the 531 ST frame really did have a miraculous ability to transmit road feel while soaking up bumps. The long top tube suited me (and my freakishly long spine) as well.

Sorry about the crap photos - my good camera was on strike.

P5300070.jpg

P5300067.jpg

P5300071.jpg

P5300073.jpg

P5300064.jpg

P5300068.jpg

Just seen this post looks like I will have to keep my eye out for a galaxie now, the list gets longer!!!
Now the reason for my post, the only name I have ever known that style of brake called is SUICIDE BRAKES. Fine for the first few miles until the cables stretched then that panic moment at the bottom of a long hill pull the brakes, fingers caught behind the leavers blind corner comming up can't pull any harder due to the pain and can't let go due to the corner you can guess the rest.
Thats the reason they did not last more than a few years on the market, the brake levers that is.

Nice bikes though

Cheers
Phil

Some nice bikes here, I can see I'm going to have to add some black leather Brooks bar tape to the B17 order...

Some nice bikes and pics, but I have to say that the a head stems just look wrong on old steel bike IMHO, sorry. :?

Back