BoTM January 2012 - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the craptivator made 3rd place because such a fuss was made of it. if it had just been left alone it may have got 1 vote.
but it made an interesting botm. and i personally think the craptivator is just another BSO. ;)

Re: '90 Dolomite Attitude

AirPressure":2076cxjq said:
Arran":2076cxjq said:
but i'm happy with the result of the restoration

I don't know that I'd call that a restoration. It's more of a rebuild seeing as it has none of the original parts and really almost zero parts the same age as the fuselage.
Bought as a frameset only. If I were nitpicking, anything that involves running a bead of weld I wouldn't call a rebuild.

Besides, aren't we missing the point? Bike of the month, irregardless of whether its a resto, rebuild or the owner is capable of riding without SPDs, clips, etc.

Re: '90 Dolomite Attitude

Arran":8jtvznah said:
I know it's about as unique & rare as a fart @ a curry eating competition but i'm happy with the result of the restoration so here it is for your consideration. Build thread here.

Say What?!?!?! There are curry eating competitions? I must find one.

btw, that's a purdy bike. It and the Monster have peaked my interested this month.

johntomjoe":110s5fbp said:
Retrobike full of bso's :LOL:

Brake Standard Open!!

What have rail carriages got to do with owt?

al. :?

videojetman":2dcks6xl said:
i think the craptivator made 3rd place because such a fuss was made of it. if it had just been left alone it may have got 1 vote.
but it made an interesting botm. and i personally think the craptivator is just another BSO. ;)
I think there's a difference, though.

There are truly some horrendous BSOs - supermarket specials, mail-order bikes, that are truly nightmares. Problematic to just use, normally, never mind anything more challenging.

Awful, horrible, cheap and nasty, barely safe, a pox on you if you try and adjust or service them.

Then you have bikes like the Activator and the Mustang. Made out of pig iron, no doubt, metaphorically heavier than the Titanic. Thing is, though, they didn't tend to fall apart. And stuff worked, and didn't break as soon as you looked at it.

I'm in no way deluded about bikes at that level - and I wouldn't wholly argue with those that want to look down their noses, sneer and call them BSOs - but all the same, there was a certain cheerful robustness that bikes like the Activator and Mustang had, that the true BSOs (ie what and where the term was originally aimed at) tend to have none of.

Other than that, please return your trays to their upright position, and carry on with the 30 minute argument. As you were, move along, nothing to see here...

johntomjoe":1ja725um said:
even tho i was tempted to re- enter the craptivator after many email requests :shock:
i dont think it would be fun at this stage,i need to replace the chain then maybe get it muddy for the photo of the month :!:

i may have something equally as crappy ready for the weekend,for you to abue :p
Have to say, I'm no elitest, but can't agree with the sentiments you appear to be displaying.

I agree, there should be more to celebrate, on retrobike, than the elite, boutique, or rare retrobikes - but all the same, I also think it shouldn't be a race to the bottom, just as a matter of attitude or spirit of rebellion.

videojetman":2lunujhr said:
i know it's being a bit picky, but that attitude really should have pedals on,
it just seems incomplete, stunning bike though.

It's not picky, it's against the rules of the competition -

Rule 6: Bike must be complete.

Some bikes have been picked up on it before. Btw, does that include the valve dustcaps that aren't on it as well? :shock: ;)

Neil":j49qijs7 said:
johntomjoe":j49qijs7 said:
even tho i was tempted to re- enter the craptivator after many email requests :shock:
i dont think it would be fun at this stage,i need to replace the chain then maybe get it muddy for the photo of the month :!:

i may have something equally as crappy ready for the weekend,for you to abue :p
Have to say, I'm no elitest, but can't agree with the sentiments you appear to be displaying.

I agree, there should be more to celebrate, on retrobike, than the elite, boutique, or rare retrobikes - but all the same, I also think it shouldn't be a race to the bottom, just as a matter of attitude or spirit of rebellion.

Careful - Getting close to VRC chat there.... :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back